Mac Mini.... Or Macbook!?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tMac85, Jun 10, 2008.

1. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

Ok ...quick short story. Talked my grandmother into getting a new computer. (very old hp) to a new Macmini. As of right now she has my computer set up at her house getting used to it, testing it out...ect... I also have a MBP and love having two computers. One for on the go, and one for when i get home.

My question is. I have always wanted a Macbook, and was thinking of just giving my grandmother my mini. Getting a macbook and hooking it up to a external monitor. I dont like taking my MBP every where cause i feel like it starts to get 'beat up' and worn. Thus getting a MB would help and i could take it when i needed it. (also its smaller.) and less valuable. What do you all think. Should i stick with my mini or get a macbook?

Please help me decide.
    Thanks

2. The Sand People macrumors newbie

I have a MBP and feel the same way about moving it around. I always think that it will get dented or scratched; but then again I am fairly protective over my computer.

A bunch of my friends have MacBooks that they treat pretty terribly but are still in fine condition (One actually spilled coke on his and, except for a few sticky keys, it still works perfectly).

So, if I were you, I would get the macbook for carrying around and hook the MBP up to an external monitor. MacBooks are very rugged and it is not as big of a monetary loss if you break/lose one. Give the mini to your grandmother

3. tMac85 thread starter macrumors 65816

tMac85

my thoughts exactly.

my only concerns are i can get a mini cheaper. and the macbook/ MBP will take up more room on my desk, and be harder to hook up usb..put a disk in ect...

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The MacBook is technically more advanced than the mini so you will get a longer productive life out of it. I love my mini but I wouldn't use it for my daily computing anymore as its just not as responsive as my MacBook (from the same vintage). I would think the experience on the new ones would be similar. Look to Apple's refurb shop for some savings.