Mac mini or 'new' Macbook (for parents)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by katy, Dec 31, 2009.

1. katy macrumors member

Hi

I'm looking to buy my parents a Mac but not sure which to go for: Mac Mini or the 'new' white Macbook. What I would like to do is hook the Mac to the TV to allow them to use as a media center..streaming internet content etc.

I'm torn between the mini and the Macbook really just because of the screen (portability...more flexible).

So besides from the cost, flexibility etc.....are there any reasons why I should choose the mini over the Macbook?

I own a Macbook but have never really experience a mini so don't know all that much about it.

Man thanks (hopefully not too trivial a question :eek:)
    K

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Just ask yourself if they're the type that may want to use it in bed or when they travel. The portability is really the only advantage.

3. mjones185 macrumors regular

With you having a Macbook, do you think if your parents got a macbook you would use iChat to communicate back and forth. I'm in the military stationed in Korea and it's the way I can see my family. Best thing ever.

The Mac Mini is a great little computer, my kids have one but to do iChat you have to get an Apple monitor or third party camera. Macbook wouldn't be a good media center computer to be left connected to a TV. Neither would the Mac Mini if needed as a primary computer as well. I'd say a Macbook would be better if not wanting to be left connected to a TV all the time.

Mike

4. katy thread starter macrumors member

5. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I would go with the Macbook because you can turn that into a desk top and get an external monitor for it and then you have the best of both worlds.