Mac Mini or not...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jdwingnut, Sep 26, 2008.

1. jdwingnut macrumors regular

Apple has kindly replaced a faulty Mac Mini with a brand new one in a sealed box. This is the second one for the same reason within a 6 month period.

My question to all is this: I have 15 days to return it for a credit of the current purchase price ($799 if it stays sealed in its box) of which I can get a gift card to use at the Apple Store online towards any other Mac I choose. I do have additional memory and a 7200rpm hard drive for this machine ready to be installed, but these can go in my other Mac Mini.

My other MM is used with my entertainment system, which I'm using to type this at the moment. It's a 1.83 C2D that's completely original. I don't see any reason to upgrade it at this time. It works great for what it's intended to do.

The Mini in question is used with a late model 23" ACD which I love, which also creates my dilemma. The MM is underpowered by todays current specs, and who knows if or when Apple will update these great little machines. This Mac is used for basic computing amongst our household and we don't need any serious muscle for any specific games or apps.

I could go on about this and that, but simply put, would you keep the Mini and ACD, or take the credit, sell the ACD and get something different from Apple. Suggestions are welcome, thanks.

2. G5power macrumors 6502

I would take advantage of the chance to return the mini for full credit.

Then you can wait a short time if a new better mini or other headless apple comes out you are happy.

If not then possibly whatever the new mac book is would be faster and better then the mini. With the mac book you could use the 23 inch monitor.

Another option since you mention selling the ACD would be to take that and the credit for your mini and you would be able to get a very nice iMac.

I fully prefer a more upgradeable headless Apple, but the iMac offers the same degree of internal options as a mini. (two RAM slots and one hard drive).