Mac Mini or Old iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by brianr19, Apr 1, 2009.

1. brianr19 macrumors member

Hi all. I have already had the new 24 " iMac with the 9400m and did not like it because I couldn't focus on text and it was just hard on my eyes (yes I turned the brightness down lol). I exchanged it for the white macbook and I do like the macbook a lot better but I can't see myself using this small of a screen all the time, and have found no real use for a laptop. The screen has bad viewing angles and is just not as good as other displays. The clarity is ok though.

A am wondering if I should get a mac mini with an external display (preferably matte) or a old iMac with the 2600 pro. I just don't have much space to have a laptop and an external display. I have found I mainly use my computer as a desktop computer. Any ideas?

2. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

i dont know. id say laptop and external but thats just me

3. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Why not just keep the laptop and get a display and keyboard mouse etc?

4. kindablue09 macrumors regular

kindablue09

+1 for buying an external monitor, keyboard and mouse for the mb.

5. brianr19 thread starter macrumors member

Hmm well I do have a 19 inch samsung tv I can use as a monitor but I tried vga cable and its really stretched. The native res is 1440x900 so I think I need mini dvi to dvi adapter and dvi to hdmi cable.

6. txnoob macrumors 6502

Just pick up a 19-22" display for less than $150. Then you have the portability when you need it, and the same performance or better than the Mini.

7. brianr19 thread starter macrumors member

The thing is, the only way I can do this is putting the laptop in clamshell mode and I do want the thing to burn up. I know it gets quite hot. I do a lot of recording with Garageband and Logic.

8. txnoob macrumors 6502

You could install smcFanControl and turn up the fan speed when running that way to keep it from overheating. Just a thought. I wasn't aware the new MB got so hot.

9. Moocher macrumors regular

I don't see any reason you shouldn't get a mini.

Mooch