Mac Mini or PC for home video editing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by psburley, Nov 29, 2009.

1. psburley macrumors member

Nov 19, 2009
    I have a Dell quad core PC with adobe elements but was considering a mac mini with maybe final cut it worth the spend?
    I fancy a mac but my dell is a decent you think I would appreciate the mac/final cut for home movies???

Any other experiences I would gain over a PC?

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Feb 12, 2007
    Neander Valley, Germany; just outside Duesseldorf
    I think you ought to let the software decide which hardware you need. Which video editing app do you want to use?
  3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

May 28, 2005
    While a Mac mini with FCP might be the "professional" way of doing things, that's an $800 investment right up front.

As long as Windows works for you, the "mac" part of the equation won't make any difference - if anything, it'll just be slower then your quad-core.

FCE, while very nice to use, is not necessarily worth $800. I would suggest looking at Adobe Premier Elements. It's Adobe's version of FCE, maybe a little more watered down, but it's only $100, there's a free trial, and see if that works for you.
  4. psburley thread starter macrumors member

Nov 19, 2009
    Mac Mini V pc

Final Cut express is only around $150 (£100 uk)...are there other pluses with a mac?? never had one but always wanted
  5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    It's not the Final Cut type of computer. It's the entry level Mac for people that want to upgrade and already have an existing display, keyboard/mouse, etc. While it can handle Final Cut Express fairly well, it's not going to replace or even perform nearly as well as your Dell.

On Windows, I would use Adobe Premiere Pro or Sony Vegas for video editing.