Mac Mini, or PowerMac G5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RobCroft, Feb 16, 2009.

1. RobCroft macrumors newbie

Okay, so I'm getting sick on my winXP computer and since buying an iBook G4 ive moved Mac! I only have a limited budget though so any advice between these two would be really helpful.

On ebay, a decent dual core PowerPC G5 2.0 GHz 1GB ram+ PowerMac currently fetches anything between £300 and 400 depending on OS, applications etc etc.

Now, the brand new Mac Mini, dual core intel 2.0GHz 2GB ram is currently around the £500 mark(brand new)(i think) and around £350-400 on ebay for a decent second hand one without warranty.

Which would you recommend, and more importantly, why? Bear in mind they both have pretty identical specifications from a view point, and the prices are pretty close too.

Thanks.

2. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

The mini - it's faster, Intel, has warranty, doesn't take up the entire room, is quieter and more efficient.

3. KettyKrueger macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Mac Mini without a doubt.

No point paying for dead technology. At the least the Mini is Intel and will run iLife 09 (if you want it to) and will probably run Snow leopard (rumor has it, PPC will not be supported by SL as Apple move away from PPC support).

I'm sure there will be a few people on here rooting for the PPC, I just don't see the logic in investing a good sum of money into something 2-3 years out of date. I know the Mini is due for a refresh (don't hold your breathe) and is not as cutting edge as some other macs, it's still newer than the PPC.

Keep checking the refurb store, they occasionally have Mini's in there for a little less than RRP but you also get warranty.

4. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

+1 for the Mac mini.

It is much faster in CPU terms, small, quiet. Off course the G5 can have a better graphic card in term of RAW GPU power, but i think, the Mini 2,0 GHz should be enough.

5. RobCroft thread starter macrumors newbie

6. macuser154 macrumors 6502

I wouldn't but a Mac Mini just yet. They are very outdated, and are due to be updated any month/day/year now.

7. KettyKrueger macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

The Endless Wait.

8. macJC50640 macrumors regular

You know, I vote for the mini too becuase its newer technology, but the PowerMac G5 is hardly "dead technology". :confused: I know, PPC and all that. No Snow Leopard. But its not an Apple //, it can handle most anything you can throw at it. I would love it if I had a G5. :D
    Just what I think.
    And no, I'm not rooting for the PPC. :p

9. dal20402 macrumors 6502

Apple is discontinuing support for PPC in its latest products. The technology is obsolescent and will soon be obsolete. I would only buy a PPC machine as a vintage toy, not for real work.

10. utkillsall macrumors newbie

11. gdeusthewhizkid macrumors 6502a

I have both. They are both great machines. If u aren't doing audio production or editing. Then u don't need a g5. The mini is a great home theter desktop system

12. thecreativ1 macrumors member

So we're beating a dead horse here, but yeah, go with the Mini. I've always loved the expandability of a tower, and the ability to run almost any PPC mac game, but with the Mini being Intel-based, it will be supported much longer. Snow leopard, the new iLife set, etc.

I've already run into programs that are intel-only.

13. claimed4all macrumors 6502

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod