Mac Mini OS DVD for Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by leftheaded, May 10, 2010.

1. leftheaded macrumors member

hi, i'm in a bind and don't have much time. our flight leaves the country in 14 hours :)

so, we have a macbook and a mac mini. i just replaced the stock macbook hdd with a 500gb WD drive no problem. also, i have a time machine backup on an external hdd ready.

the problem is i cannot find my OS X dvd anywhere. however, i did find my OSX DVD for my mac mini. still, when i turn on the macbook all i see is a folder blinking with a question mark in it. doesn't seem to work, but i have almost zero mac savvy. :(
    how can i get my OS installed tonight?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

The restore (grey) DVDs are machine specific and do not work on another system.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The gray restore DVDs are machine specific, so you can't use the DVDs for a MacBook with a MacMini, or for a MacBook 2010 with a MacBook 2009.

You can*use TargetDiskMode to clone your MacMini HDD to your MacBook's HDD via CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper.

MRoogle is also a good resource to search these fora.

4. leftheaded thread starter macrumors member

well, now i can't get the mac mini DVD out of my macbook. Think i'll just bring another computer :/

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Force Eject a Stuck CD or DVD

6. leftheaded thread starter macrumors member

should i be able to put the orig hdd back in then make a startup disk? and then use that startup disk to get to a point where i can restore from my time machine backup (on the ext hdd)?

7. leftheaded thread starter macrumors member

my wife found the OS X DVD!! woohoo!

thanks for the help folks