Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leftheaded

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2010
hi, i'm in a bind and don't have much time. our flight leaves the country in 14 hours :)

so, we have a macbook and a mac mini. i just replaced the stock macbook hdd with a 500gb WD drive no problem. also, i have a time machine backup on an external hdd ready.

the problem is i cannot find my OS X dvd anywhere. however, i did find my OSX DVD for my mac mini. still, when i turn on the macbook all i see is a folder blinking with a question mark in it. doesn't seem to work, but i have almost zero mac savvy. :(
how can i get my OS installed tonight?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
The gray restore DVDs are machine specific, so you can't use the DVDs for a MacBook with a MacMini, or for a MacBook 2010 with a MacBook 2009.

You can*use TargetDiskMode to clone your MacMini HDD to your MacBook's HDD via CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper.

MRoogle is also a good resource to search these fora.

leftheaded

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2010
well, now i can't get the mac mini DVD out of my macbook. Think i'll just bring another computer :/

leftheaded

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2010
should i be able to put the orig hdd back in then make a startup disk? and then use that startup disk to get to a point where i can restore from my time machine backup (on the ext hdd)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.