Mac Mini OSX on external SSD USB 3.0

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by robertojorge, Jul 1, 2014.

1. robertojorge macrumors regular

robertojorge

Hey guys,

Just recorded a video with some tests regarding the usage of OSX on external SSD over USB 3.0 available @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVAp_tUceXs

Yeah i know that the mini is really easy to swap the HDD but the tests that ive made were more directed to the machines the "cannot" be opened like the Imacs. I just got one for my wife base model (desktop version :) ) with a 20% off discount so no option to chose the SSD from factory (if they had the SSD model i would have bought it).

Anyway i hope the video helps those looking for a solution cheaper than the thunderbolt solution.

Only watch the video if you have free time :) 46 minutes of testings :)

Resuming you can get 200-300 mps Writes and 400+ mps reads witch is actually really nice for external solution. SSD used was a Samsung 840 Evo 250GB

2. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

I've been doing that with mine for almost a year now waiting for a refreshed Mini.
    Works fine if you use it for OS and Apps.
    No trim though so it shouldn't be used as a data drive.
    I use the internal HD as data and an external USB3 WD 2tb for data and time machine. :)

3. robertojorge thread starter macrumors regular

robertojorge

Yep that will be the setup used on my wifes Imac. OSX on External SSD, Internal HD for data and External HDD for Time machine :)

Really nice