Mac mini owners

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Raphyy, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Raphyy macrumors newbie

I currently have a Macbook Pro (not the unibody) and it's always connected to my 1080p monitor and I rarely, if ever, take the laptop with me when I go out. So I was just wondering if the Mac mini is a good solution for me to buy next instead of a unibody macbook pro.

If I were to get something it would either be the 15" Macbook Pro or the Mac Mini, just need to know if the Mini is worth the money or not, what it does and doesn't do and all that stuff.

Thanks!

2. Jedi macrumors regular

Jedi

I have had mine for 2.5 Yr`s + , it`s hooked up to my XBR2.

I like it , it`s great for watching online TV + Movies.

Photo`s are also great on a Mini.

Not so great for writing , surfing is ok and posting is fine ( forums ).

Use eBay , it`s good for that.

I would have to say that is about it.

I too am looking into a new notebook , so I can do more in the way of writing.

So far a reliable Mac !! :D

3. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

I'm using it for college (2009 Mini) and its been doing great.

4. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

The new mac mini will do everything that your MBP does, a mac mini is basically a MBP without the screen and with better cooling ;)

5. Raphyy thread starter macrumors newbie

New one? I don't want to buy one now if there's a new one coming out. Also I do lots of programming / web development. Still a good choice? Thanks for your time btw

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

By new one he means most recent. Its the same internals as a low-end 15" MBP except with a slightly slower CPU.

7. thatguysmells macrumors regular

I love the mac mini! I think it's worth it only if you don't like the idea of an all in one computer, like the imac. If you like an all in one, then definitely by the imac because your getting more for your money. Me personally, I love the mini and hate the idea of an all in one computer. If the display dies, your out a computer. But that's just me. :D

8. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

There is video out. It would be exactly like the monitor you use for your mini going out.

9. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

yeah sorry i meant the most recent lol

10. NJuul macrumors 6502

The current mini is a great little machine!
    Small foot-print, powerful, and virtually noise-free.

As long as you are aware of the draw-backs which is pretty much limited upgradeability (you can bump the memory and hard drive if you are not afraid of taking it completely apart), no screen, and limited gaming abilities due to the integrated graphics.
    If you can live with that, I'd strongly recommend the high-end, non-server version. It comes with enough memory and a big enough hard drive that you will never need to take it apart.

11. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...actually with the RAM pricing increase lately, the fact that the high mini comes with 4GB, a 2.53 CPU and the 320GB HDD = the $799 price seems a bargain compared to the $599 price of the 2.26 CPU, 2GB RAM and a 160GB HDD...

12. dfansteel macrumors newbie

I got a Mac Mini in early December with the max HD and RAM. I love it. I already owned a MBP (Early '06) and the transfer was seamless. It just wasn't worth it to me to upgrade to an entry level iMac for another $400. And I sill have my MBP for when I do need to use a computer while out and about. The best part is since I use MobileMe, I can still access my Mini from anywhere in the world using Back-To-My-Mac.