Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

esvee

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
I'm doing some hackery on a bunch of mac minis, namely looking to create an exterior power button. (the mini will be inside a case and we need to be able to turn it on from the outside)

A plunger button to line up with the button on the outside of the mac mini case would just be creating another failure point, so I cracked one open and the power switch is using one of the small black two pin plugs that are used in a handful of other place on the board.

So the current idea is to run a wire through the vent port to that plug on the logic board, which means I can do all of what I need to without necessarily making it apparent that I poked around heavily inside the mini.

Problem is that I need that little black plug to make this work and mac mini parts seem to be a no-show in all of my searching. I can get any miniscule piece of anything for an iphone, but it seems the most I can get for a 2010 mini is the cooling fan and the usual upgrade memory type components.

TL;DR: Anyone know where I can buy the little two-pin black plugs inside of a 2010 mini that connect the speaker or power button / or a cheap component that I could hack it off of?

It looks like the hard drive thermal sensor and the speaker are the only two components in this generation that use that plug.

20110215-tfy26u81fikbtejaihc84tc12k.jpg

Last edited:

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
why not leave the connector, and cut/splice the wires to the new switch?

free is better than buying more plastic connectors...

EDIT: didn't see the 'without leaving traces' bit. how about a couple small wire taps. they poke thru the insulation on the two wires and provide connection to the new switch, but could be removed and leave little/no trace of intrusion. best of luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.