Mac mini parts?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by esvee, Feb 15, 2011.

1. esvee, Feb 15, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2011

esvee macrumors member

Jan 15, 2008
    I'm doing some hackery on a bunch of mac minis, namely looking to create an exterior power button. (the mini will be inside a case and we need to be able to turn it on from the outside)

A plunger button to line up with the button on the outside of the mac mini case would just be creating another failure point, so I cracked one open and the power switch is using one of the small black two pin plugs that are used in a handful of other place on the board.

So the current idea is to run a wire through the vent port to that plug on the logic board, which means I can do all of what I need to without necessarily making it apparent that I poked around heavily inside the mini.

Problem is that I need that little black plug to make this work and mac mini parts seem to be a no-show in all of my searching. I can get any miniscule piece of anything for an iphone, but it seems the most I can get for a 2010 mini is the cooling fan and the usual upgrade memory type components.

TL;DR: Anyone know where I can buy the little two-pin black plugs inside of a 2010 mini that connect the speaker or power button / or a cheap component that I could hack it off of?

It looks like the hard drive thermal sensor and the speaker are the only two components in this generation that use that plug.

2. 4JNA macrumors 68000

Feb 8, 2006
    looking for trash files
    why not leave the connector, and cut/splice the wires to the new switch?

free is better than buying more plastic connectors...

EDIT: didn't see the 'without leaving traces' bit. how about a couple small wire taps. they poke thru the insulation on the two wires and provide connection to the new switch, but could be removed and leave little/no trace of intrusion. best of luck.
  3. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Dec 25, 2010
    New Jersey
    If you needed to buy parts, this place isn't too bad. Although free is nice if you got spare things lying around.