Mac mini performance

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Jogi, Apr 24, 2014.

  1. Jogi macrumors newbie

    Apr 24, 2014
    I am planning to buy a mac mini. But i have few questions as this will be my first mac machine. So i need your expert comments. I will be using this machine mostly for application development. I will be running few IDE like eclipse or intellij idea, some database server and few other application.
    So i want to know if mac mini will be a good option or not.
  2. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    The Mac mini is a fine computer and will handle what you documented. I'd make sure you have sufficient ram, but other then that its a great work horse.
  3. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

    Jun 21, 2010
    I just picked up the base i7 model for exactly this purpose. I did upgrade it with an SSD and 16 gigs of ram and it is quite the beast :)

    I have not installed Eclipse yet because I have been playing around with Xcode (which seems completely awesome BTW) but think it will run just fine especially if you up the ram.

    The Mac Mini actually has higher specs than my work PC which runs several instances of Eclipse plus a boat load of other crap just fine. I would suggest upgrading the ram to 16 gigs though. Amazon sells the kits for <$150 and they are very easy to replace yourself.
  4. Jogi thread starter macrumors newbie

    Apr 24, 2014
    Thanks for the reply guys..another question..i was just googling and find out that new version of mac mini is due any idea when it apple is supposed to release new mac mini......
  5. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

    Mr Rabbit

    May 13, 2013
    Apple typically won't give any advance warning (aside from a day or two) on new Macs coming out. The exception to this is when the new Mac is an entirely new model or an extreme redesign, such as the new Mac Pro or the MacBook Pro Retinas when they were first released a couple years ago.

    With that said, the consensus seems to be that the Mac mini is overdue for a refresh. This doesn't make it a bad machine or unwise buy by any means, it just means that Apple releasing a refreshed model in the next few months wouldn't be surprising.
  6. Micky Do macrumors 68000

    Micky Do

    Aug 31, 2012
    An island in the Andaman Sea.
    Rumour Patrol has it that….

    ….. a new, super dooper mac Mini could be released on Tuesday.

    However, rest assured. If you are antsy enough to buy before that momentous occasion, unless you are a creative professional (in which case, look at the Mac Pro) or a gamer, a suitably configured current Mac Mini is probably more than enough computer for most people's needs.
  7. Padaung, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014

    Padaung macrumors 6502


    Jan 22, 2007
    I was in the position last August where I had to buy a new computer because my old Macbook pretty much died to the point it was unusable. Even back then there were rumours that a new Mac mini would be launched within the next couple of months. Anyway, I figured I needed the computer now (for work) and couldn't wait two months. Point of the story is that I'd still be waiting for Apple to launch a new Mac Mini.

    In my opinion the only time it is wise to wait is when a rumour becomes so consistent and positive that a launch date is definitely known (and unfortunately this is usually only a few days at best before the launch).

    As is often said here on Macrumors, if you need a machine now then the best time to buy is now... You can't rely on rumours, they can go on for years (iWatch anyone?).
  8. blanka macrumors 68000

    Jul 30, 2012
    Does not matter much for the TS purpose. First of all, no matter what the update will be, it won't be much faster. Haswell is not much faster than Ivy (marginal <5%), and PCI SSD won't be faster than the current dual disk RAID 0 options (outperforming MacPro storage). If Apple skips Haswell and waits till autumn for a Broadwell update, then it is a different story.

    All current macs (with execption of incredible expensive BTO multi-core MacPro's with months waiting time) are within 20% performance difference, so it really does not matter which mac you choose.
  9. al404 macrumors 6502


    Apr 24, 2011
    Novara, Italy
    i did buy i7 and got 16Gb of ram and i like it
    i have a samsung 840 SSD on external firewire 800 / usb 3 icy box and i think is best solution so you would not risk your warranty

    i did use my samsung 840 SSD on previous mac ( imac ) on firewire 800 and was really fast even if read / write speed was about 80MB/s
    now same SSD but on usb 3 i get about same speed of samsung 830 SSD i have in mac book

Share This Page