Mac Mini: Pissing me off

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by miTunes75, Apr 11, 2007.

1. miTunes75 macrumors 6502

I don't know what the deal is with my mac mini. I'm a new switcher (since aug 06). I have always had the following problem:

There have been several times when I'm clicking forward or back or click on a link and the pinwheel starts. It won't resolve unless I force quit and restart the computer. This is very annoying as I seriously never had this issue with a PC. I don't know what is wrong with this thing. The only programs that I have downloaded onto this is the lame encoder for iTunes, ofoto express, adium.

What is wrong? Do I have a lemon? Is this common for macs?

It's a 1.66ghz core duo
    512 memory
    80gb 5400 hard drive

Thanks.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

a few things here...

1. why not force quit the app in question?
    2. tab out of app and see if it resolves itself
    3. you only have 512MB of RAM, how many things are you doing with this is occurring? more RAM might help

3. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Did it 'run' fine before you installed the encoder??

4. miTunes75 thread starter macrumors 6502

it's always had the pinwheel problem since I've had it. It happens more often than i like.

while this is running i either have itunes and safari running, or safari-itunes and mail running.

the amount of memory free at this point with these 3 applications running is about 25mb.

5. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Get more memory. You are probably running a PPC application through Rosetta. With 512mb that's a serious no-no. Once you've gotten like 2gb of ram you should see a huge difference in system responsiveness.

Mods, please close this thread.

6. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Upgrade the ram @least 1 GB .. Some ppl on here recommend 1GB + of Ram for Tiger if you run alot of tabs in Safari or Widgets

I'm using 1.25 Gb of Ram now on my Mini .. 1.66 Ghz CD 512MB 80GB hdd SD but i found it be little bit laggy before the upgrade..

On my Tower G4 i'm up to 1.5GB of Ram but i do ram upgrades myself..

The mini you need to be brave to open the mini and try to do Ram process yourself, "But i paid an Apple certified tech to have it done it's well worth it".. IMO

7. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

It's easy installing ram on the mini yourself btw. You just need a good guide on the net (www.macworld.com has one), patience and the right kind of tools.

8. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

To the OP, Spotlight "Activity Moniter" and tell me what your Page outs are. If they are above 3000 or so after 30 minutes of regular use you should get more RAM.

9. X1Lightning macrumors 6502

X1Lightning

I have a mac mini with 2 gig of ram and it just seems slow sometimes, maybe more of a delayed response to things... like dreamweaver 8 and flash 8 are way slower than what they are on a comparable pc. but even in text edit, there is a slight delay from when i start typing to when it appears on the screen, to me that seems really odd for a 1.8 with 2 gig of mem and 40+ gig of free HD

10. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Dreamweaver and Flash 8 will be running under Rosetta - thats why they are way slower than on a comparable pc...

I guess apple made text edit universal, but are you running it at the same time as Dreamweaver? Leopard and Adobe CS3 will cure these problems :)

11. X1Lightning macrumors 6502

X1Lightning

yeah i was running text edit when i had dreamweaver and flash open, i had fireworks open as well, pretty much always have those 3 running...

I'm new to the mac so this my be a stupid question but is Rosetta an emulator?

12. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Yeah Rosetta emulates PowerPC architecture so older Mac software runs on the Intel based Macs.

Its also why it slows down so much :( A designer at my work got so fed up with waiting for Flash and Photoshop that he put XP on his Macbook Pro and dual boots now.. Well until he gets CS3.

13. Max Payne macrumors 6502a

My advice is the same as the advice offered by previous members. Upgrade your memory.

14. X1Lightning macrumors 6502

X1Lightning

15. mania macrumors member

I think he might have a hardware prob cause 512 is plenty to run a browser. that said - hardware problems are often bad ram sticks. if you do buy more ram try first replacing the old ram instead of just adding more to see if that is it.

16. JackArc macrumors regular

JackArc

I have the same Mini you do and it is very very rare when I run into the same problems you do. Generally, I am only using Firefox and iTunes and possibly iChat but I also use Photoshop and Lightroom frequently. These apps were perfect and I never get the beach ball. The thing is, when I have these apps open I close everything else other than iTunes. Works for me:confused: