Mac Mini Problems

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by antipex, Nov 2, 2010.

1. antipex macrumors member

antipex

I bought a new Mac Mini in July as a HTPC and it's been having some issues. First, videos take longer to load in Front Row as time goes on between reboots. A reboot fixes the problem momentarily. Second, I'm seeing random problems with applications and Mac OS X, and the computer freezes occasionally for no apparent reason. The computer is in a spot where it's staying very cool so heat is not an issue here.

Has anyone else seen these issues? Last week I reformatted and reinstalled Mac OS X, and then checked the HD for errors (there are none). I had a previous generation Mac Mini serving the same purpose prior to this one and it had none of these problems.

2. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

How much ram do you have? If you do not have enough you can certainly experience such issues. I experienced momentary freezes, severe video lag actually, because I did not have enough ram. The standard 2GB of ram, along with a very slow hdd, in the new Mini is a recipe for letdowns. I installed 8GB of ram and a Momentus XT and it transformed my Mini into the computer that should have shipped from Apple. Ideally, more ram and a ssd is a wonderful fix. If your budget is limited I would opt for more ram first, then hdd.

3. antipex thread starter macrumors member

antipex

I had 2GB of RAM initially, thought it was the RAM, and upgraded to 4GB. I still have the same problem. Also, I only had 2GB in the old Mini without problems.

4. Baby Mac macrumors regular

Baby Mac

I have not seen posts attributing these problems to the drive or memory. The upgrades would be nice but if they don't help these problems, you'll have a faster computer and have eliminated two things it could be. Maybe an Apple Store could run a check before you lay out more cash not knowing if the mini is a keeper.

5. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

Other than the dozens of posts about various versions of the Mini not having enough ram, I totally agree with you.
    :rolleyes:

@OP
    If your Mini isn't starving for resources, like all standard Minis do, I fear there is a deeper problem and I agree with Baby Mac about having it looked at.