Mac Mini Protective Sleeve

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by martinqm, Dec 4, 2014.

1. martinqm macrumors newbie

martinqm

Does anyone know of a Mac Mini Protective Sleeve or protective soft case for the mac mini 2012? I just put two SSD's in this machine so I suddenly want to protect it in case I drop it during daily transport. Any leads are greatly appreciated.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

A simple Google search for "Mac mini protective sleeve" showed this as the very first search result, with many others, as well.
    Perhaps some basic Google searching is appropriate to find a variety of cases. Then simply choose the one you personally prefer. No one else can decide that for you, as it's a matter of personal taste.

3. martinqm thread starter macrumors newbie

martinqm

Thanks. I should have been more descriptive - I saw this case, and I after 15 minutes of searching, I only found 2 others, and they are all over 4 years old. The thing is, this case and the other two I found are made for the pre 2010 re-design mac mini's (the larger square ones). I'm surprised there's no soft sleeves or cases out there for the newer wave of mini's, especially since they just continued this body series with the new disappointing 2014's. All the cases/sleeves out there kind of suck, I just can't believe there's no company making a soft compact case for the newer minis.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Out of curiosity, why are you carrying your Mac mini around enough to need a case for it? If you need portability, why not go with a notebook? Since that's the solution most people use, there are fewer demands for a carrying case for a desktop computer. What do you do with the keyboard, mouse and monitor?

5. martinqm thread starter macrumors newbie

martinqm

Good question. When I got this computer I didn't have much money, and I happened to have a great monitor so it made sense at the time. I've since put in 16 gigs of ram, and now striped 2 solid states inside, and I must say the computer really performs well. So I have my monitor and keyboard at home, and the same at work, so everyday I just throw this thing in my backpack. Today on the subway someone bumped into me knocking my backpack off, so I decided "tonight I'm buying a sleeve for this". I suppose most people just leave these on a desktop, probably why there's not really any new products for this out there. Just want something 2012 or later, so it's thinner and can still fit it in my backpack.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

All Mac minis made since 2010, including the newest models, are of the same exterior dimensions. The case I linked is made for that size.

7. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

Transportability was an important reason for Mac Mini being my first computer when it came out in 2005. It remains so, and I am not alone.

I didn't, and don't, want some dainty thing with a poky little screen to tote from home to class or office, to cheeky cafe or park…. or to use en route.

I did want something that could occasionally be carried easily in a backpack on a bicycle, motorcycle, to set up with peripherals available at my destination. It takes me just a couple of minutes to disconnect and connect my Mini at each end of the journey. In my case I take a keyboard and mouse, and hook up to a projector in class on campus several times a term.

In my observation notebook computers are not all that rugged, thus seem to need to be carried with great care. Broken screens seem to be relatively common, and expensive, damage that affects a computer in use. Dents and scratches are normal wear and tear that I would not bother about, though I know there are those who like to keep their possessions pristine.

A Mac Mini is better shaped to transport easily…… And I reckon it will take the knocks better than a notebook, especially if is fitted with a SDD rather than a HDD. Each to their own, but cosmetic damage does not bother me. It is a sign that things are being used, not just looked at.

8. martinqm thread starter macrumors newbie

martinqm

I know, but the one you sent was made for the earlier version. As you can see here, it perfectly fits the larger (thicker) mini body:
    http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0281/2796/files/dummies2.png?7254

In 2010, mac minis got thinner. Mine would obviously fit one of these since it's slimmer, but these cases are cool when they fit perfect so there's no wiggle room. I just assumed there would be slimmer cases specifically for the newer ones since '10. When I search, most of the images are actually cases for notebooks if you click on them. Anyway, I'm sure this is an annoying post, I'm looking for something that isn't really out there, and I'll probably just get one of these larger cases since mine will fit anyway. Thanks for searching and responding. I think I'm going to get on this forum more often.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That image is from another source. The case is designed for the aluminum unibody Mac minis. In that image, they've stuffed a polycarbonate older mini in the bag, but it's obviously not the best fit.

10. martinqm thread starter macrumors newbie

martinqm

Ok, this is getting silly. I appreciate your reply, but you are completely incorrect here. This image is from the exact link you first replied with, it's on their 3rd image tab: http://www.sfbags.com/products/mac-mini-sleevecase#product-tabs3

This is clearly the older thicker version mac because the top of it is white and the sides are silver. When the mini's got thinner in mid 2010 the body changed to all silver. And from the way it looks, this is not crammed in at all, it looks like a perfect fit, like it was designed for it. That's probably why this webpage is so old, and why this case has been floating around the web for half a decade. Why would the company that makes these feature an image of the wrong mac crammed into the case? The bottom line is, they are all close enough in size that they will all fit. There's just no one making a case exclusively for the slimmer models unfortunately.

11. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

First off, I'm looking at their website from my phone so maybe we are seeing different things but the Waterford one doesn't show any Mac mini in it on their website snd the description clearly states 2010-2012...

12. martinqm, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014

martinqm thread starter macrumors newbie

martinqm

sorry, I stand corrected. I kept seeing this image and I thought it was the same because it looks identical. Sounds like this is the only case out there for the new mini body, so I guess I know which one to buy now

13. cfedu, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014

cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

You should feel silly because you are wrong , that pic is from a review that a third party did on the original case. I guess the newer case was not reviewed and they just keep the old review for the newer case.

the dimension for the newer case are from them website.
    Mac Mini (mid-2010–late-2012) Case
    9.3" x 9" x 1.9" (external case dimensions)

The older one had different dimensions from the link you provided
    7.25" x 7.25" x 2.5"

14. newellj macrumors 603

I don't have that case but my wife and I have quite a few of their cases. Quality is top notch.