Mac mini psu

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Dave 23, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Dave 23 macrumors newbie

Hi-
    I just (foolishly)plugged in my Mac mini G4 psu into my Intel core2duo that had suddenly died some time ago... (never investigated, hence the experiment)
    Not only did nothing happen, the G4 no longer powers up.
    I did an smc reset, also unplugged the psu from the mains. Is it also dead?
    If I buy a 110w psu will it work with both machines, or do they have to be 85w and 110w respectively?

TIA

2. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

The MacBook and iOS power bricks negotiate power requirements so you can use any. An undersized version will simply not let you charge the battery and use the device.

The PSU should work in the same way (although an undersized version will not work as there is no battery to cover the power needs). This is how PC desktops work, where you estimate power draw and get a PSU that is bigger than your power demands.

A 110w version should work for both, unless they output different voltages. Check the voltage demands of the G4 vs the Intel first. PSUs for PCs have standardized power outputs so they can be swapped out easier.

3. Dave 23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. That's what I thought, just wanted to check first before purchase.
    Still mystified as to why the working psu apparently died after plugging into dead Mini though...is it (psu) really dead?

4. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

The only thing that springs to mind is the Mini has an electrical short, so the PSU will instantly fry itself trying to power the Mini. You can try another SMC reset. Also check the connections, perhaps they wiggled loose.

A way to test is to get a cheap voltmeter (you don't need the accuracy, 10 - 20 dollars) and see if the PSU is producing the required 18.5V DC (and is not fried). If you have a local Apple store they should give you a free diagnosis of what is wrong with your Mini.