Mac Mini Quad Core i7 2.6ghz Powerful enough for Music Production?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Pie Chips Salad, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Pie Chips Salad macrumors member

Sep 28, 2012

I wondered if any mac min fans might be able to help me. I have a 2009 imac 2.66ghz dual core 8gb ram reg hd prob 5400rpm. I was waiting to fully go nuts on a top spec BTO order Imac. But I'm slowly thinking a mini might be better for my needs. I'm wanting to use it for music production (ableton). I don't do much else on the computer but the usual. I have a few cpu, ram intensive programs/vsts like omnisphere.

I was thinking a fully specced mac min 2.6ghz, 16gb ram (added myself) and Fusion drive or even 512 ssd might serve my needs perfectly. I don't play games so intergrated graphics is fine at this point. I think I could get a mini for 1100 pounds UK with an IPS 27 inch samsung screen. That is against the 2600-2800 pounds for a new 27 imac with ssd.

My question is do you think a fully BTO mini would serve my audio needs? It should be atleast twice the speed of my current imac? Or is the imac still the best value for money?

I wondered if someone could say anything to help me decide?

Thanks in advance
  2. henchman macrumors 6502a

Dec 28, 2004
    As I've stated before. I would get the 2011 Mac mini server, and save yourself the money. This way you get the dual internal 7200 RPM drives.
    The speedboost in the 2012 is not a big enough difference versus the 7200rpm drives, IMO.
  3. Beezer900 macrumors newbie

Oct 31, 2012
    I used to do full audio and midi sequencing with a stack of VSTis on a PIII 500 MHz. I think you'll be fine.
  4. thestickman macrumors regular

Nov 21, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Been using my i7 2.3 Mini to run Pro Tools 9 & Logic without any problems. CPU usage barely gets to 25% with 50+ tracks & many plugins.

For the $$$, I've never had a finer computer to make music with.