Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sith Vol

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Memphis, TN
Hey guys, I'm kinda interested in purchasing a Mac Mini. I really don't know much about them but the low price tag for a desktop Mac is intriguing. I consider myself a member of the Apple family; I have an iPhone, iPad 2, and MBA, but I've recently been wanting to get a Mac desktop to complete my switch from PC. I'm a college student so I have some financial constraints but it was recently my birthday so I've got some cash to spend. I was considering upgrading to the iPad 3 but I'm starting to shift that idea for a Mac Mini. I already have a monitor that I can hook up to it and the SuperDrive from my MBA so all I'd need is a keyboard and mouse.

I know some of you may ask why I want one with having an Air already. Well, I really want to get one because of the hard drive space and the ability to completely leave PC and just boot camp Windows 7 for some gaming. I really don't play that much, but I play SWTOR a little bit. Would this game run alright on a base Mini or would I need the 4GB model? And also all I REALLY do on the computer is web surf, type papers, listen to music, watch movies/Netflix. With the Mini I'd want to add boot camp for Windows 7 and probably some DVD converting. Is 2gb ram and the lower end video card "ok" for these types of things, and the occasional playing of SWTOR? Not sure if this matters at all but I was able to boot camp and play SWTOR fine on my 128gb 13in MBA when I tried it.

Thanks for reading and for the help!

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

You don't want to run lion on 2gb of ram and you would be better off getting the model with dedicated gfx tbh

Sith Vol

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Memphis, TN
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

So the 4gb ram model with the upgraded video card would be best?

Sith Vol

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Memphis, TN
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Or could I get by with the base model and just buy ram?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

4gb + gfx is better

Sith Vol

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Memphis, TN

What are u referring to when u say gfx?

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
gfx = graphics card

If you won't be doing a lot of gaming or 3D intensive tasks, the Intel graphics would be good enough.

Also 8gb is cheap now a days so get that. Don't get it through Apple as they are still charging $200 or so. You can buy good 8gb kit for $30-$40.

Sith Vol

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Memphis, TN

I think I'll go with the $599 model to save some money and then order some RAM from Amazon I guess. All I really care about is mildly playing SWTOR, so it's not a big issue if that's not possible with the low end model.

And

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2009
92 ft above sea level, UK

I think I'll go with the $599 model to save some money and then order some RAM from Amazon I guess. All I really care about is mildly playing SWTOR, so it's not a big issue if that's not possible with the low end model.

Your mind already seems made up, but I don't know why you don't just hook up the monitor to the MBA since you already indicated it plays the game fine. If drive space is an issue just buy an external drive. Hey presto, a desktop environment. (or just buy a ps3 for games, macs/pcs are an expensive way of playing computer games).

Motliest Crue

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
Hey guys, I'm kinda interested in purchasing a Mac Mini. I really don't know much about them but the low price tag for a desktop Mac is intriguing. I consider myself a member of the Apple family; I have an iPhone, iPad 2, and MBA, but I've recently been wanting to get a Mac desktop to complete my switch from PC. I'm a college student so I have some financial constraints but it was recently my birthday so I've got some cash to spend. I was considering upgrading to the iPad 3 but I'm starting to shift that idea for a Mac Mini. I already have a monitor that I can hook up to it and the SuperDrive from my MBA so all I'd need is a keyboard and mouse.

I know some of you may ask why I want one with having an Air already. Well, I really want to get one because of the hard drive space and the ability to completely leave PC and just boot camp Windows 7 for some gaming. I really don't play that much, but I play SWTOR a little bit. Would this game run alright on a base Mini or would I need the 4GB model? And also all I REALLY do on the computer is web surf, type papers, listen to music, watch movies/Netflix. With the Mini I'd want to add boot camp for Windows 7 and probably some DVD converting. Is 2gb ram and the lower end video card "ok" for these types of things, and the occasional playing of SWTOR? Not sure if this matters at all but I was able to boot camp and play SWTOR fine on my 128gb 13in MBA when I tried it.

Thanks for reading and for the help!

I can't comment on the base model but I would think the 799 model would run SWTOR on medium settings. I may be wrong as I have never played it but I do run SC2 on high on the 799 Mini.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Or could I get by with the base model and just buy ram?"

If finances are constrained, this could be the way to go. If you can spend more, get the "mid-level" model with the upgraded graphics.

Or... have you considered trying an Apple refurb? To check what's available, go to:
http://www.refurb.me/us/
Not many Minis available at the moment (Apple refurbs carry a 1-year warranty and are usually indistinguishable from "new"). You can set the "refurbme" site to email you when the model(s) you're interested in become available.

For RAM, I recommend:
http://www.datamemorysystems.com/apple-memory.asp

IMPORTANT:
We will probably see a new version of the Mini with the upcoming "Ivy Bridge" processor and USB3 not long after the new CPU chip becomes available. But this probably won't be until mid- or late-summer. If you want one now, buy now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.