Mac Mini Questions - And Stuff

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Salaminic, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Salaminic macrumors newbie

Well... Hello. XD I'm thinking about getting a mac. - Mini. And... I have a few questions... I already checked around the net for some info, but this is just some "random" stuff.

There are two Mac Mini models... One has 1.83 mghz CPU and the other one has 2.0 mghz CPU. I'll be getting the base model. I'm just interested... Is there a *real* difference between those two CPU speeds? I mean... In the end... It's just a 170 mhz loss. Memory is the same... And the base model HDD space will be enough. And... The combo drive can read both CDs/DVDs but only burn CDs, right?

The graphics card. Intel GMA 950 or something like that... I checked it out a little, and... Seems like a fairly decent card. So... It can handle Photosop, Flash etc. I'm not really into games... But could it handle some older games on lower settings? Nothing much really... Just wondering. Because if it can handle games, it should be able to handle pretty much everything else, right?

It comes with Leopard, obviously... But does it come pre-installed or with an upgrade disc?

It has speakers, right? Stereo?

And I heard that it comes with a lot of laptop parts... Which exactly? - I'm curious.

Does it come with a built-in microphone? - And no iSight camera, right?

And... Why is the Apple keyboard so damn expensive? XD

Thanks to all who reply.

2. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Should be able to handle anything you throw at it, I read a member on here who was running WoW on the highest settings. I sometimes play Hitman and NFS.

It will come pre-installed (but it may not) and you'll have a leopard repair disk (which also contains leopard)

Yeah, internal speakers. Not the best, quite tinny. If i were you, i'd setup an AUX-out to some 2.1s or 5.1s or something.

No, but it does have an input port. If you buy a USB webcam, look for one with a microphone, thus leaving the input free for instruments or.. something :D

Only ones i could answer, good luck.

3. Salaminic thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for clearing that up. It means I could play something from time to time on it... And that's GOOD to know. XD Ain't sure what... Haven't played anything for about three months now. XD

And now there's only the thing with the laptop parts, and the small difference between the CPUs.

4. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

Mac mini has a mono speaker just like the MacBook Air. It uses a mini-ITX like motherboard with a socket M and 2 so-dimm slots

5. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Yes- Leopard will be pre-installed..

Mini has an internal speaker but it's possible to add your own external speakers..

Gma 950 is on-board video card so it takes a portion of System Ram for it's use..

The processor is a mobile processor chip..

The Hard drive is Mobile size (2.5" x 9.5 mm)

The higher processor speed will increase the re-sell value..

The microphone is you supply it like if you want nice speakers..

No iSight .. But you can buy almost any uvc Webcam and have it work with Mac..

Combo drive: read/burn Cds and read Dvds ..

The Ram (Computer Memory) is a laptop size chips..

example of Mac Mini Ram size:[​IMG]

6. Salaminic thread starter macrumors newbie

Well... I pretty much got all my questions answered. Thanks people!

If I have any more questions... I'll post them. (Oh noes!) XD

7. Wingnut330 macrumors 6502a

I have a 2.0 Mini for sale. PM me if you are interested...

8. Salaminic thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds good. Unfortunantely, probably ain't gonna go. Credit cards etc.