Mac Mini Questions consernd about best priceing and tv hook up.

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by tbluhp, Dec 5, 2008.

1. tbluhp macrumors 6502a

Ok my first question is that wich cord will I need to buy in order to hook up a mac mini to my standered tv? The only cord I know of is the red,white and yellow cord for my wii or dvd player. So does apple offer one of those?

Also

I will be buying one likely in Late Feb or early March so how much do you think I would be spending on one? As long as it is intel I will be good. No G4 PPC once.

2. mpshay macrumors 6502

What connection does your TV have? DVI would be the best case because that is what the Mini has. Second best option would be to use a DVI to HDMI cable and use an HDMI port on your TV. The second connection will be for sound. The mac mini has a single audio mini jack so you will some type of adapter depending upon which type of audio in you have

3. tbluhp thread starter macrumors 6502a

The TV is a Magnavox
    13" Digital TV/DVD Player Combo with ATSC Tuner CD130MW8

http://www.magnavox.com/index.cfm?event=main&cat_id=1&subcat_id=6&product=158

The TV only has the cord for an atanna and the av video/audio plug.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Use DVI. It's the port with two holes at either side and 3 rows of pins.

5. tbluhp thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

You'll need one of these to turn the DVI output into a composite video output, from which you'll need to run a cable with an RCA plug on each end, to the yellow input on your TV: http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9267G/A

If an updated mini with mini-DVI comes out, you'll need one of these instead: http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9319G/A?fnode=MTY1NDA3Ng&mco=MjE0ODUwMg

If it comes out with mini DisplayPort, then God help you.

For audio, you'll need a stereo 3.5mm-to-RCA cable.

Personally, I think it's a lot of hassle for minimal gain. The resulting video resolution will be low, and the quality mediocre. Far better to have a TV with digital inputs or a computer monitor, but it sounds like you have a tight budget to work within.

Good luck.

Andrew.

7. TrapOx macrumors 6502

They still make TVs that small? They still make cathode ray tubes????? :eek:

Get an actual computer monitor. The cost of a mini displayport to RCA adapter will be more than that 13" cathode ray tube TV is worth.

8. tbluhp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry I am a bit confused. It's going to be a Mac Mini

"1.5 GHz Intel Core Solo or 1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo" So I just buy the first item mentioned above and then buy a regular RCA cable?

9. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

Right. I didn't realise you were planning on buying second-hand, hence my references to possible updates.

Yes, if the mini you end up buying has DVI, then you'll need the first item mentioned to handle the video. Audio will need a separate solution: perhaps a 3.5mm-to-RCA adapter, so you can then use the three-point RCA AV cable to route video and audio into your television set.

It ain't gonna look pretty.