Mac mini questions

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by motoxpress, Nov 29, 2009.

1. motoxpress macrumors 6502

So, I have a core duo 1.66 mini that I am attempting to extend it's usefulness to my family. The optical/dvd drive failed on it and I am thinking instead of putting a new one inside, I want to add a second HD and use an external dvd player (maybe a bluray). So, what kind of adapter can I get to add another 2.5" hd internally?

The other question is how do I get the Apple DVD player to play DVDs form an external player? I have heard there is a way to do it although not simple. Any resources on this?

-mx

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

My optical drive has died as well, same model :( Shame, 'cus it's awesome but also out of AppleCare.

I think, if I bother at all, I'll just pay to get it replaced by Apple like-for-like.

4. motoxpress thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I am trying to use the mini as more of a media center and adding a bluray drive would help that. Also, at some point, it makes less sense to spend a lot on it and just buy a new one.

-mx

5. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

If you want to add a blu ray drive, you will need Windows.

6. motoxpress thread starter macrumors 6502

For now, the Bluray is only for ripping bluray movies I buy and playing them back via Frontrow.

Anyone have any information on enabling external players?

-mx

7. motoxpress thread starter macrumors 6502

So, I think I am just going to go with the Macbook Air Superdrive to solve my dvd issue.

Any thoughts on the second hard drive adapter? The iFixit folks don't sell the kit any longer it seems.

-mx

8. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

Try ebay or amazon they may have your adapter your looking for and good idea on the other super drive. I picked up a targus dvd player that i can use on my netbook. That dvd player is picked up by my mini if i want to do a direct disk to disk copy so it does not have to go to the hd when i need to. In that line of thinking if i remember dont that have usb blu ray burners now

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

10. motoxpress thread starter macrumors 6502

Bah. It looks like the MBA Superdrive only works with the new minis so, I am back to the drawing board with the dvd issue....

-mx

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

VLC player and other media players do play DVD on external drives.

However full sized external optical drives are usually way louder than Mini.