Mac Mini RAM discussion

SteveC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2003
438
0
From the looks of things, is it true that the only RAM options for the Mac Mini are as follows?

256 MB (standard)
512 MB (add $75)
1 GB (add $425)

I would LOVE to buy the Mac Mini, but I'm afraid 512 MB of RAM won't be enough and 1 GB is too expensive. I wanted to go with 768 MB.

Is it also true that the RAM must be installed by an authorized person? I've always added my own.

I figure I could buy the Mac Mini for $499, add a nice monitor for $200, a keyboard and mouse for $30, and be at $729. That's still $70 under the eMac, but the RAM issue with the Mac Mini is really a roadblock. Hmm.

Plus they HAVE to update the eMacs soon (it's been 273 days (Average = 179) since last update), with bumped specs or a price drop.
 

terrac

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2004
3
0
SteveC said:
256 MB (standard)
512 MB (add $75)
1 GB (add $425)
Well, my hunch is that you can also stick 2Gb DIMMs in there, but they are not low-profile enough yet so they don't offer it. Just a hunch.

SteveC said:
I would LOVE to buy the Mac Mini, but I'm afraid 512 MB of RAM won't be enough and 1 GB is too expensive. I wanted to go with 768 MB.

Is it also true that the RAM must be installed by an authorized person? I've always added my own.
You can totally install the ram yourself, however it's not warrantied when you do that. Get crucial ram, 1Gb for $221.
http://www.crucial.com/store/PartSpecs.asp?imodule=CT12864Z335&cat=RAM

Terrac
 

SteveC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2003
438
0
terrac said:
You can totally install the ram yourself, however it's not warrantied when you do that. Get crucial ram, 1Gb for $221.
http://www.crucial.com/store/PartSpecs.asp?imodule=CT12864Z335&cat=RAM

Terrac
If I install it, then the RAM is not warrantied, or the computer?

I was under the impression that it was hard to install RAM in the mini. Any idea what's involved? Couple screws, or a half day job?

There's only one slot in the Mac mini, right? If so, I'd need 1 GB to get above 512 MB.
 

vga4life

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2004
411
0
SteveC said:
I figure I could buy the Mac Mini for $499, add a nice monitor for $200, a keyboard and mouse for $30, and be at $729. That's still $70 under the eMac, but the RAM issue with the Mac Mini is really a roadblock. Hmm.

Plus they HAVE to update the eMacs soon (it's been 273 days (Average = 179) since last update), with bumped specs or a price drop.
Or you could get a refurb emac for $650 that comes with a kb, mouse, and monitor, has 2 user-accessible RAM slots, 2 firewire ports, and can run a nice external monitor in addition to the internal monitor.

I spent $1000 on a refurb emac and an extra 1GB DIMM (giving 1.5GB total) last year, hooked up a nice 19" CRT I rescued and ran the Screen Spanning Doctor from http://macparts.de/ibook - now I have a dual-monitor Photoshop CS workhorse. Dual screens is something that once you try, you'll never give up. It's luxurious.

I think the Mac Mini is only a good deal if you've already got a monitor, and based on the photos on the Apple site, it does not look like adding memory yourself will be easy; it looks like the case is held together with plastic friction-fittings that will require a special tool to open without breaking.

-vga4life
 

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
2,174
1
53132
vga4life said:
it does not look like adding memory yourself will be easy; it looks like the case is held together with plastic friction-fittings that will require a special tool to open without breaking.
Straight from Apple's Mac mini tech specs page:

Memory upgrade must be performed by an Apple Authorized Service provider.

There you go.
 

SteveC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2003
438
0
vga4life said:
Or you could get a refurb emac for $650 that comes with a kb, mouse, and monitor, has 2 user-accessible RAM slots, 2 firewire ports, and can run a nice external monitor in addition to the internal monitor.
-vga4life
What is the definition of a refurb? Is it repossessed from someone who didn't pay for it? Does it mean the box was opened? What does it mean? It's an attractive thought. I just don't want a machine that someone threw back in the box and sent back.
 

SteveC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2003
438
0
michaelrjohnson said:
Straight from Apple's Mac mini tech specs page:

Memory upgrade must be performed by an Apple Authorized Service provider.

There you go.
Gotcha'. I just figured that might be there to make them more money and I might be able to do it myself. Maybe it's real hard though? Hmm
 

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
2,174
1
53132
SteveC said:
I just don't want a machine that someone threw back in the box and sent back.
That's exactly what it means. But it has been refurbished. It has been restored to factory spec, and as Apple would have you believe; As good as new.

I'd search the boards to find out about peoples experiences with Apple's refurb machines.
 

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
889
10
USA
SteveC said:
What is the definition of a refurb? Is it repossessed from someone who didn't pay for it? Does it mean the box was opened? What does it mean? It's an attractive thought. I just don't want a machine that someone threw back in the box and sent back.
Well, the eMac line is a little different from most Apple lines, since schools tend to make bulk purchases of it. So, the computer you get might have once crayon smudges or paint on it. The refurbishing basically means they get the kiddies' buggers out of the fan, and clean off the paint and crayons, and make sure everything's working. :D
 

supatekmedia88

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
17
0
I bet you can do it yourself

I have modified lots of Macs, and this looks like adding RAM will be a piece of cake....adding a bigger hard drive might be a lot harder, but i bet i could do
it in a couple of hours.

this Mini mac will be modded by lots of people, now that they aren't risking
that much money. I will be one of those people!

I am seriously thinking about buying several of these to use the new Xgrid
system as a render farm. BAM!
 

mactropy

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2004
84
0
M&M's
but what about the warranty!

Well, I'm kinda bummed because an authorized person has to install the RAM. I bet you can do it yourself. But just remember how great this is for Apple! (sarcasm follows . . .) All those people with very little knowledge in computers (especially Macs). All of these newbies buying the computer with the RAM upgrade that makes it almost twice as expensive. Wow.
 

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
2,174
1
53132
mactropy said:
Well, I'm kinda bummed because an authorized person has to install the RAM. I bet you can do it yourself. But just remember how great this is for Apple! (sarcasm follows . . .) All those people with very little knowledge in computers (especially Macs). All of these newbies buying the computer with the RAM upgrade that makes it almost twice as expensive. Wow.
I bet it will be a matter of weeks/months after the full availability of the Mac mini that we find instructions on how to install your own RAM, perhaps even the selling of a small plastic tool to aid in such ventures... I wouldn't worry about it in the long term. Just wait until adoption is high, and that info will be predominant.
 

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
3,399
489
NorCal
betsbillabong said:
I'm not too sure of that. OS X run s-s-s-l-l-l-o-o-o-w-w-w with only 256. And that's just the finder.
Actually 256MB ram isn't too bad provided your only doing basic computing like, word processing, email, internet, and what not. It's not lighting fast or anything, but it is managable. We have this set up on an iBook. Now if you're going to be doing plenty of Photoshop, or video editing and what not, well then, that's a different story :D But for basic computing 256MB be managable. And since we're talking about the Mac mini, that's precisely what the Mac mini is meant for. So 256 isn't -=FAST but it's not "s-s-s-s-s-l-l-l-o-o-o-o-w-w-w", at least from my perspective :)
 

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2004
642
0
Wisconsin
Just a comment here. It seems that the Apple store is usually capable of adding RAM to purchases (of course all other systems are a breeze to install it in).

I'm thinking there is a chance that if you walk in there and tell them you want to buy one, that you can maybe get them to install a stick of RAM you have with you. If you buy the system and come back, I'm guessing less likely.
 

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
2,955
0
Alameda, CA
michaelrjohnson said:
I bet it will be a matter of weeks/months after the full availability of the Mac mini that we find instructions on how to install your own RAM, perhaps even the selling of a small plastic tool to aid in such ventures... I wouldn't worry about it in the long term. Just wait until adoption is high, and that info will be predominant.
Exactly. Which is why I've ordered mine with 512mb. It should be fine for most tasks, and when the ram swap has been proven simple and safe, I'll upgrade.
 

TORA

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2005
1
0
You can replace RAM in Japan.

michaelrjohnson said:
Straight from Apple's Mac mini tech specs page:

Memory upgrade must be performed by an Apple Authorized Service provider.

There you go.
Actually Japanese Apple's Mac mini page, which is almost complete translation of the English page, does not have a line corresponding to this statement. Probably you can replace the RAM in Japan.
 

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
The RAM looks like a standard DDR PC2700 DIMM, one socket, that's no problem, the issue will be getting into the case.

By the looks of it, it uses plastic barbs to hold the upper case on, it might not have any screws at all. The trick is disengaging the barbs without breaking the little barbers off.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com
 

panphage

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2003
496
0
SteveC said:
Gotcha'. I just figured that might be there to make them more money and I might be able to do it myself. Maybe it's real hard though? Hmm
The video card on my Cube isn't upgradeable at all according to apple. That didn't stop me from doing it. And that notice isn't gonna stop me from upgrading the ram on my new mac mini when it arrives.
 

giveup

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2004
44
0
Canton
SteveC said:
If I install it, then the RAM is not warrantied, or the computer?

I was under the impression that it was hard to install RAM in the mini. Any idea what's involved? Couple screws, or a half day job?

There's only one slot in the Mac mini, right? If so, I'd need 1 GB to get above 512 MB.
hi guys, maybe it is too early to say anything opening the case of Macmini. Has anyone got one?
 

mactropy

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2004
84
0
M&M's
giveup said:
hi guys, maybe it is too early to say anything opening the case of Macmini. Has anyone got one?
Yes, it's too early. The Mac mini won't ship for another couple of days (delivery by Jan. 22). Therefore, nobody can tell you anything yet.