Mac Mini Ram/Grey screen prob, no advice has yet worked!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Nortiz2002ssj2g, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Nortiz2002ssj2g macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,
    Got a bit of a problem. I hope this isnt a repetitive post, but I havent found a solution in all the forums ive come across. I have a power pc mac mini. YEsterday I upgraded my Ram from 512kb to a 1gb. i followed online tutorial, did everything as i should. So after i install it, i start it up and it works beautiful, no problem. SO i run a system update, updated quicktime, then i shut down. when i go to restart, im getting the infamous grey screen. Im bummed cause it worked fine all the way untill i turned it off and restarted. Ive tried reseting the pram and pmu as per instructions on the apple site, i tried booting from the install cd, tried holding in option, no go. reinstalled old ram, no go. My keyboard is a usb wired logitech, which didnt seem to get power, so i tried an older keyboard which seems to get power since it lights up lol, so im kind of stuck on what to do now. it starts up fine, chimes, but gets on a blank grey screen.I dont know if maybe the keyboards have something to do with it as far as trying to hold certain keys down at start up. All i know is it worked the first start up after installing ram, and i tried almost everything, has anyone come across this issue? If so, can you please share some wisdom?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

3. Nortiz2002ssj2g thread starter macrumors newbie

No i cant, the one keyboard i had didnt even seem like it was getting power, so i switched to another, held down the C key at start up, nothing, held the shift key, nothing, held down option apple PR, nothing, Like my keyboards arent even being read. The mouse works, the one keyboard even lights up as it should, so im very confused as to what to do at this point before i take it to a shop to get fixed.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That's prettymuch your only option, I'm afraid.

5. Nortiz2002ssj2g thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah im gonna take it in today, thanks for the help anyways though:). I will post my results when i get the Mac back, maybe it will help someone out if they have a similar issue.