Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndrewTosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
So I just got my mini today and couldn't resist the urge to crack it open. I had a 1024MB DDR333 module, which didn't work in my parents' Intel P4 machine, but worked fine in a friend's AMD Athlon XP. When put in the Mac mini, the machine just beeped, followed by the LED glowing dim, then 2 occasional bright flashes. It gives the same beep when you try to start it with no RAM at all.

The module is marked "TZtec" with a ramsink, DDR333, CL2.5 1GB.

Has anyone else had success or failure with different RAM modules? Anyone need some RAM for their AMD machine? ;)

-Andrew

AndrewTosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
On the RAM or the mini? For the RAM I'm not sure of the company's return policy. I just emailed them asking if I can exchange or return it. I also threw it on craigslist to see if anyone local wants it.

As far as the mini goes, I believe Apple's official word is that if you damage the machine by opening it or using aftermarket parts, that it's on you. Since I didn't damage it, I'm not too worried about that. It still works fine with the 256MB RAM.

I'm interested to see other people's responses so we know what kind of memory to buy in the future. Also the configuration on the memory was: 128x4

-Andrew

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
The official specs for mini RAM are:
PC2700 or PC3200 Synchronous DRAM (SDRAM)
2.5 volt
8-byte
non-parity
64-bit wide
184-pin module
maximum of 16 memory devices on the DIMM
unbuffered—do not use registered or buffered SDRAM
maximum height of 50 mm

Any ideas on which spec it did not meet?

AndrewTosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
My guess is the 64bit wide. I believe this one was 128 bit wide, sometimes called high-density. You will need low-density/64bit RAM for the mini. It is more expensive, so I think most of the $90-120 pricewatch 1GB modules won't work.

At least you get to learn from my mistake. :) Hopefully I can get rid of this and pick up a compatable module.

-Andrew

fraeone

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2003
Seattle, WA
I just waded through Newegg's list of 1GB PC2700 DDR, and all of it is listed as 128M x 64-bit, which sounds compatible, No? Although the minimum price is $150 and from some no-name. The Mushkin was $175 and has curiously sold out in the last week.. almost assuredly because of the mini. I mean, who else is buying 1GB PC2700 modules? hehehe

My Dad ordered me a mini for my bday with zero consultation (awesome!) but he ordered the 512M upgrade :| .. I guess maybe I'll try to upgrade the hdd first, my PBook has 768 of RAM and I wouldn't mind more.. I find myself multitasking with Mac OS WAAAY more than I do on my windows box, even though my PC is blazing fast. I think mostly because of Expose and the smooth multitasking.. but that likes memory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.