Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kcaruso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
i recently purchased a mac mini about a month ago. 2.5ghz intel core i5 that came with 4GB of DDR3 RAM at 1600 mhz. i've been ripping blurays with make mkv and transcoding with handbrake. i had noticed that my page outs was absurdly high...around 50GB. so i went and purchased a RAM upgrade to 16GB of DDR3 RAM at 1333 mhz. the page outs were instantly down to zero, but now over the past 2 days, its back up to about 5GB and slowly increasing. my page ins are at around 3GB too. swap is at just under 12mb. ive also noticed that my used memory is like 15.9GB sometimes until i use the "purge" command in terminal to temporarily free up the inactive memory. anyone think this is weird or normal or whatever? any input would be greatly appreciated.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
As I've posted in your duplicate thread:
The Page Out figure is cumulative. It keeps rising until reboot.

Inactive Memory is there for a reason, and does not generally need fixing.

If you have a genuine observable problem with performance, i.e. beachballs, lengthy waits, hanging, etc, THEN start looking at memory usage.
Otherwise, if everything is working as it should, then don't worry about OS X's memory management.

A reboot once in a while is as much maintenance as you need.

kcaruso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
ahhh ok thank you for your reply. i realize i posted in multiple areas, wasnt sure exactly where to post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.