Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hardy93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Hi everyone, I have never had a Mac before and was hoping for some advice after doing alot of reading on these forums..

I want to get a new mini strictly for an HTPC setup.
I don't play games, I would use it for downloading movies, music and tv shows. As well as Internet browsing, email, and some minor ms office stuff.

My budget would allow me to get server model plus some upgrades, if that was the right choice. I would like to keep it for 3-4 years..

I would be connecting it to a 60" samsung series 8 3d led tv.

So my questions are: would the mini have any issues running 1080p blu ray rips on this tv? Would it be better to get the server or the mid range model with the graphics card?

Also, I want the wireless keyboard and mouse and be able to sit on the couch 10-12ft away from the mini. Would there be any issues with that?

I just want to make sure I make the right choice for my application before I go and buy one.. Thanks for the help!!

smallnshort247

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2010
I just got my Mac Mini about a week ago. I went to the top of the line non server version with the higher end processor. I think it would would perfectly fine for what you'd plan on using it for. I've tried pushing the Mini's limits to see what it can handle, and I'm pretty impressed.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
"I want to get a new mini strictly for an HTPC setup.
I don't play games, I would use it for downloading movies, music and tv shows. As well as Internet browsing, email, and some minor ms office stuff."

I use mine for just what you are planning and got the simple MacMini 2.3 Ghz, no video card but upped the memory to 8 GB. I toyed with getting the more expensive one but glad I did not go overboard for something that I would not really need.

No hiccups with my set up, and no regrets either. Its your money, so get what you want. ;)

Hardy93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Thanks for the replies SR, smallnshort..

What size of tv do you have it connected to? How does the mini play hd movies on it? Any issues running a large tv, and at 120/240hz?

I've heard the model with the i7 and graphics card can run hot, any experience with that?

Also how well do the wireless keyboard an mouse work, do try have a max range from the mini?

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
Thanks for the replies SR, smallnshort..

What size of tv do you have it connected to? How does the mini play hd movies on it? Any issues running a large tv, and at 120/240hz?
?

Size of tv doesn't matter, the resolution does. A mini will show same performance on a TV with Full HD no matter what the size. All the minis should be able to play full HD movies just fine. Not so sure if they run 120/240hz. Wouldnt matter anyway as the human eye stops at like 100. So theres no point.

warvanov

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
I've heard a lot of people say that the mid range mini with the discrete graphics card handles video with the 29/59 frame rate bug better than the either the low end mini or the high end server, but I don't have any experience with this myself. I'm not sure exactly what types of video are likely to have this bug.

Hardy93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Thanks, so the resolution of HDTV's are fine with the Mac mini then. I thought I read somewhere that some of the new tv's with 120 or 240hz weren't that compatible. Can anyone confirm?

Sounds like I don't need the graphics card if I'm not going to be gaming. But I'm my sure what the 29/59 frame rate bug is or where it exists.. Does anyone know what types of video have this bug, or is it just games?

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
Hi everyone, I have never had a Mac before and was hoping for some advice after doing alot of reading on these forums..

Why don't you use Google? What you're asking has been asked thousands of times all over the internet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.