Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

One blog claims that bulk orders for the Mac mini are currently being denied until after Labor Day.

I needed to order another bunch to use as Mac mini servers (and to add to my great wall of Apple boxes) but I was told by the reseller (name withdrawn so they don’t get in trouble) that they can’t take big orders (again), but after Labor Day they’d be able to ship plenty of the new model.

The same blog reported a similar pattern prior to the last Mac Mini update in February. Meanwhile, Appleinsider claims to have independent confirmation of the delay in large orders of Mac Minis.

This timeframe supports earlier claims that Apple would be launching Core 2 Duo (Merom/Conroe) Macs as early in September. The new Core 2 Duo processors are drop-in replacements for existing Core Duo processors which power the Mac Mini, MacBook, iMac and MacBook Pro.

Sean7512

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2005
I hope it happens soon......that new iMac is sounding nice!!! I think it is obviously coming "VERY SOON." What happened to September 5th? Is that the tuesday after labor day, I think it is....

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
Sean7512 said:
I hope it happens soon......that new iMac is sounding nice!!! I think it is obviously coming "VERY SOON." What happened to September 5th? Is that the tuesday after labor day, I think it is....

This article refers to the Mac Mini, not the iMac...

Sean7512

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2005
Macrumors said:
Core 2 Duo processors are drop-in replacements for existing Core Duo processors which power the Mac Mini, MacBook, iMac and MacBook Pro.

AvSRoCkCO1067 said:
This article refers to the Mac Mini, not the iMac...

Just taking a guess that it also includes the iMac, well praying :eek:

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
Sean7512 said:
Just taking a guess that it also includes the iMac, well praying :eek:

Is Conroe pin-compatible with the iMac, though? I didn't think it was...and I definitely think that Apple should try to get a Conroe chip in that computer (or else release a mid-sized tower).

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
man i'd love for them to include "old" yonah based chips and release a mini for $300-$400. i just want the cheapest intel rig i can buy right now as i'm "mid-cycle".

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Los Angeles
dashiel said:
man i'd love for them to include "old" yonah based chips and release a mini for $300-$400. i just want the cheapest intel rig i can buy right now as i'm "mid-cycle".

I thought Yonah and Merom are basically the same cost-wise. That's why everyone thinks including merom in new systems won't raise the price of those systems. I could be wrong.

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
HecubusPro said:
I thought Yonah and Merom are basically the same cost-wise. That's why everyone thinks including merom in new systems won't raise the price of those systems. I could be wrong.

They will be - at least initially - but Intel will undoubtedly lower prices on the Yonah chips shortly, making a cheaper Yonah-based Mini feasible.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
Finally some Mac Mini rumours :D ..... lets hope this turns out to be correct. I wonder what specs we'll see in the next update, Surley no more Core Solo? :eek:

The article mentions Core 2 Duo, but I bet they stick with Core Duo. everything else will be the same.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I'd be shocked if we saw Merom based Minis before Merom based MBP and MB.. maybe a Core Duo upgrade, to hold us over? A price drop and high speed Yonah?

OR wishful thinking from someone who doesn't want his Core Duo Mini to seem old(even though its not)

BeefUK

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2006
I hope this means they'll update the Macbooks too, mac mini with Core 2 Duo and not in the macbook would be strange!!!

I can understand the macbook pro being updated on it's own but the mini???

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
i hope theres a new mac mini soon id plan to get one but i plan to put boot camp on and play my matrix online and i pray this version does not have shared graphics cause for my game it is herendus playin the game

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
Almost shelled out Monday for a top of the liner mini. Glad I didn't get around to it. A 2 Duo in the low end and it will make a fantastic media center. Even better if they include a superdrive (unlikely :(). Have to wait and see....

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
One day I'll buy a mini - they look so sweet. And with a C2D they'll go sweet too!

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
sunfast said:
One day I'll buy a mini - they look so sweet. And with a C2D they'll go sweet too!

Maybe dual optical drives like the Mac pro. This is getting standard on Macs obviously.

:p

glennsan

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Midwest USA
Dual Optical Drives?

MrCrowbar said:
Maybe dual optical drives like the Mac pro. This is getting standard on Macs obviously.

:p

The only Mac that currently has the dual optical drive is the Mac Pro. I would not think that the iMac and Mini would get a dual as well. But I will admit that stranger things have happened.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
glennsan said:
...I will admit that stranger things have happened.

Like this?

73218496_12cd47ab24.jpg

gawd i hope i don't get banned for that!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.