Mac Mini Refresh Soon?

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
As a previous poster pointed out, I don't think that conroe is compatible with the current Yonah procs. Only Merom is. Conroe requires a MB redesign.

chuckles:)

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2006
CANADA
MrCrowbar said:
Maybe dual optical drives like the Mac pro. This is getting standard on Macs obviously.

:p

Obviously???

the Mac Pro is one thing, but you wont see dual optical drives in an iMac much less a Mini, there's no point 4 the standard consumer market.

paddy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2005
TN
chuckles:) said:
Obviously???

the Mac Pro is one thing, but you wont see dual optical drives in an iMac much less a Mini, there's no point 4 the standard consumer market.
I gather that he was joking because of that smiley at the end of the post.

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
nice one... was looking to buy a mini to 'integrate' into my CAR... might wait now, then pick up a core solo intel for cheap! hopefully....

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Los Angeles
Cybix said:
nice one... was looking to buy a mini to 'integrate' into my CAR... might wait now, then pick up a core solo intel for cheap! hopefully....
http://www.kusnetz.net/prius/
I have a Prius, and when I saw this guy put a mac mini in his Prius, I nearly died with envy. I would love to do this, but I have feeling the cost/trouble would be way out of my realm, and I don't know that I would trust someone to void the warranty on my car.:)
Still it's a cool idea.

karlfranz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2006
Melbourne
I went to buy a Mac Mini (single core) at my local Apple Dealer Wednesday and was told that they didn't have any in stock and that Apple has told them not to place any further orders on the current model. This rumor seems to fall in line with what I experienced.

iJawn108

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2006
I really need some new macsso i can start using.

Conroe iMac would be an imediate purchase from me.

andrewm

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
superleccy said:
What the @*!& is Labour Day? Something to do with Tony Blair?
To quote the Dictionary widget, Labor Day is "a public holiday or day of festivities held in honor of working people, in the U.S. and Canada on the first Monday in September, in many other countries on May 1."

Cheers!

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
AvSRoCkCO1067 said:
I definitely think that Apple should try to get a Conroe chip in that computer (or else release a mid-sized tower).
Yeah... Merom or Conroe for the iMac? And I think maybe they DO need a mid-sized tower... the laptops have MacBook and MacBook Pro, we've got "Mac Pro", all we need is a "Mac"??

.Andy said:
A 2 Duo in the low end and it will make a fantastic media center. Even better if they include a superdrive (unlikely :(). Have to wait and see....
I'd love to see an Apple media center - really an Apple TiVo, plus iTMS TV downloads. But if all we want is a media center, how important is the CPU? Isn't all the important stuff in the graphics card? I'd rather "cheap" than "able to run photoshop" :) (I really don't know where I sit on "Able to run iMovie on my TV" - I think I'd rather use my Mac)

Anyway, I wonder if Apple has any plans to pull together 3 rumours - iPod Video, iTMS movie store, and Mac Mini Media Centre. It'd make an interesting announcement.

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
andrewm said:
To quote the Dictionary widget, Labor Day is "a public holiday or day of festivities held in honor of working people, in the U.S. and Canada on the first Monday in September, in many other countries on May 1."

Cheers!
Hurrah! All that and new Mac Minis too! Labor day is truly the finest of public holidays!

Thank you
SL

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
Movies are on their way to iTunes...

And Front Row is getting refreshed in Leopard...

I'm still in disbelief that the Mac mini will become a set-top box, but all the pieces are starting to come together.

chadgroove

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2006
Hmmm.

Its nice to see some rumors finally. Aside from obviously a Core Duo 2, what else do you think is likely? Dedicated video?? Bigger/Faster HD? More Ram?? theres only so much space in it. Theres so way I could see another optical drive being put in unless they really moved things around inside the case, or if they wanted to push it as a media hub.

I bought a Mini last may.. Core Duo w/ 1GB of RAM. I love it! However I just took a new job and I'm being given a Macbook or MacbookPro soon as a perk. Time to sell the mini?

I love the thing but if new ones are coming, I might as well sell it off, right?. The bugger was a bit more expensive then I had planned.. about $900 after all was said and done. (I would have gone for the iMac if I didn't have an Cinema Display.. prolly still should have.). As much as I'd love to have 3 Macs its overkill. Right? (*waiting for people to flame me for claiming you can have too many Macs*).. I was hoping at some point I'd open up the mini and put a memron in there, and upgrade it/mod it for fun.

Chad

-------
Powerbook 15'in, 1.67ghz, 2GB Ram, 100 GB HD, high res screen '5,8' (final rev. 11/2005)
MacMini Core Duo, 1GB Ram (5/2006
Apple Cinema Display 20 in. (6/2005)

chadgroove

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2006
Porchland said:
Movies are on their way to iTunes...

And Front Row is getting refreshed in Leopard...

I'm still in disbelief that the Mac mini will become a set-top box, but all the pieces are starting to come together.
Yeah I'm getting that feeling too. Its a tingly feeling.. but that feeling might be loss of circulation due sitting at a new MacPro at work all day. I'm pretty sure I didn't stand up for a good 6 hours today. Can't be good.

It'd be cool to see some kinda of upgraded/dedicated graphics, a bigger 7200rpm HD, and 2 firewire ports. Maybe some built in or adapter based outputs for dual dvi? Alot depends on the ammount of vram it will have.

I kinda hoped they'd do a significant modification based on or similar to the mini for a media hub. SOmethign not much bigger, but specifically a media hub, that can be a decent Mac, not the other way around.

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
I guess we're diverging from the actual rumour - new Mac Mini real soon.

chadgroove said:
It'd be cool to see some kinda of upgraded/dedicated graphics, a bigger 7200rpm HD, and 2 firewire ports. Maybe some built in or adapter based outputs for dual dvi? Alot depends on the ammount of vram it will have.
I look at the existing Mac Mini, and your wish, and see too many $ signs!.

Perhaps our wishes require a range of options. Mac Media HD vs Mac Media. ;-)

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
If Apple's marketing of the Intel Macs is really in high gear then I would have to say seeing Core 2 Duo in highly likely for September.

During the start of this week I tried to buy a new MacBook or MacBook Pro at Nextbyte computers in Sydney. The Apple guys there told me that all they had left in terms of MacBook and MacBook Pro stock was the floor stock (which I didn't want) they also said that they were expecting a "very big" shipment second to third week of September which is inline with the release of the Core 2 Duo.

Personally I think we will see the Core 2 Duo in Macs as soon as Apple gets there hands on it

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
jdl8422 said:
why is the guy who first posted this rumor buying a bunch of mac minis for a server?
For the same reason people are buying a Mac Pro as a gaming machine, because you just can do it :cool: