Mac Mini Refresh!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kenrik, Jan 20, 2011.

  1. Kenrik macrumors 6502

    Dec 21, 2004
    I need a Mac Mini Server. My question is how much better will the next version be? We are getting near the refresh and If it's going to be a big update over Core 2 Duo i'll wait... if it's just going to be another core 2.. I'll buy it now.
  2. Hellhammer Moderator


    Staff Member

    Dec 10, 2008
    The problem is, nobody knows. Could be C2D or something else.
  3. Zaap, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011

    Zaap macrumors 6502

    Jul 6, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thread from 2007? 2008? 2009...

    Oh, wait. It's 2011.

    Sorry, I got confused with all the talk of waiting on a mini update and (!!!) C2Ds.

    Maybe the next mini will be 10% thinner solving that ongoing leprechauns' lack of vertical space problem, but at least 20% more expensive. Ah yes, and internals that have 2008 calling up, wanting its stats back.
  4. r0k macrumors 68040


    Mar 3, 2008
    I'll take OS X on a C2D, no wait, make that a Celeron over Win 7 on an i7. Still, you make a valid point that Mini guts tend to lag a bit. But it is the entry level machine. You don't want Apple throwing 8 cores in a $999 Mini so all the $3,000 Mac Pro users can throw a hissy fit do you?
  5. snberk103 macrumors 603

    Oct 22, 2007
    An Island in the Salish Sea
    I'll bet we see 8 cores in a Mini in less than 4 years. For $999. And people will still complain that it's too expensive and flagging and not nearly powerful enough....

    .... to run their Holodeck.

  6. Mal67 macrumors 6502a

    Apr 2, 2006
    West Oz
    It's funny but evertime I log on I hope to see that a new version of the mini with sb processor has been released or at least is a red hot rumour with pictures of new cases etc. But all I see is cdma iphones and ipad2s. However I wonder just how high on the radar the mini is as I haven't seen it at all at any of the retailers here outside of the Apple Store. Still heres hoping it is coming and sooner rather than later. Along with the latest processor I hope they make it slightly thicker as opposed to thinner.
  7. talmy macrumors 601


    Oct 26, 2009
    Different strokes... I'd be happy if it ran slower provided they knocked the price back to the original $500.
  8. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000


    Nov 20, 2007
    I'm hoping for a processor bump, pref to SB. And more RAM. More RAM as standard.

    Flash boot would be a bonus. Massive internal storage is a non-issue as all my iTunes/iPhoto files will be external anyways.

    Whatever Apple decides, I just hope it comes soon.
  9. Mal67 macrumors 6502a

    Apr 2, 2006
    West Oz
    Actually that's a good point. I wonder if they would produce a low end low cost mod and a higher end mod as well as a server model.

Share This Page