Mac Mini Rejects Windows Server Install Disc

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Projekt, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Projekt macrumors member

I'm trying to get Windows Server 2008 running on my 2006 Mac Mini Core Duo- something that, if I understand correctly, should be possible. I have a 32-bit copy of Windows Server 2008, which I can run fine on the same machine via VirtualBox.

Despite this, the machine refuses to boot from it. It will immediately eject the disc (yet boots from the OS X install disc just fine). I thought at first it didn't recognize this as a valid boot item, but in the Startup Disc section in system preferences, the DVD shows as a valid boot source and even has the windows logo on it, which makes me think the disc (genuine retail copy) is not the source of the issue.

Is there some stipulation that makes this setup impossible? Any help is appreciated.

2. Kevin L. macrumors member

I'm looking at this possibility too. In googling, it seems that a lot of people have installed Windows Server 2008 and 2012 on Mini's, but it's not officially supported.

3. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

Did you try holding down the Option key on boot?

4. Projekt thread starter macrumors member

Yes, and the disc does not show up as bootable there. However, if I hold "C" at boot, a receive a black windows "insert boot media" prompt. Something strange is going on..

5. alexrmc92 macrumors regular

Are you certain you have server 2008 and not 2008R2? 2008 R2 does not have a 32 bit version.