Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Minicube

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2011
I think this rumor will prove to be solid. It comes from someone with a good track record and it makes logical sense to me. Apple wants as many people as possible using Lion, and since the upgrade involves a huge download (and many people refuse to download even small system updates), the best way to do this is to ship lots of new hardware with Lion already in place.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I'm just hoping that the new Mini has enough horsepower to play back Blu-ray rips WITH lossless audio without stuttering.

Mmmmmm....my dream media server.

pj-uk

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2011
London
I'm just hoping that the new Mini has enough horsepower to play back Blu-ray rips WITH lossless audio without stuttering.

Mmmmmm....my dream media server.

The current mac mini handles this fine. Not sure why you'd bother letting the mini do any hard work with audio when it can pass directly to an amp, especially since you'd hear no difference in compressed vs lossless audio with the onboard audio DAC!

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
The current mac mini handles this fine. Not sure why you'd bother letting the mini do any hard work with audio when it can pass directly to an amp, especially since you'd hear no difference in compressed vs lossless audio with the onboard audio DAC!

Because my receiver does not handle onboard lossless decoding. :)

It can only accept a decoded signal via analog ins. (No HDMI)

And no, the current Mini doesn't handle it at all. The best it can do is DD+ or regular compressed DTS.

pj-uk

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2011
London
Because my receiver does not handle onboard lossless decoding. :)

It can only accept a decoded signal via analog ins. (No HDMI)

And no, the current Mini doesn't handle it at all. The best it can do is DD+ or regular compressed DTS.

A new amp would be cheaper than a new mini and probably a lot more future proof :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.