Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
Hey guys, Alex here.

I've been using Mac OS Lion since release date, and things have been running fine until the last few weeks. I've noticed a lot of pinwheels of death, crashing, and a ton of completely unresponsiveness. To fix any of my issues, most of the time, I have to force shut down my machine by holding the power button on my machine (when Finder becomes unresponsive, and won't relaunch) and turn it back on, or I have to open Terminal and type 'sudo reboot' because Finder WILL NOT WORK.

Finder crashes ALL THE TIME.
iTunes crashes ALL THE TIME.
Pinwheels ALL THE TIME.

A few minutes ago, I sat down at my machine, and tried to type in my iChat window, but I could not make iChat the active window, or input text into the IM box. So I went to the Force Quit option at the Apple Menu, and once Force Quit window opened, it was blank. It showed NO applications running. Then I clicked the Finder to see if this was a simple error/glitch, and Finder was unresponsive. No apps would respond to anything except Google Chrome (wtf right?).

I had to Force Shutdown with the power button, and turn my machine back on to do this. What the hell is wrong!?

Please don't say, your machine's specs aren't good enough, that's why you're having issues. I have a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo with 8GB RAM and a SSD. There's not much better out there (for this particular machine).

I've attached screenshots of my machine's Activity Monitor, is anything wrong/suspicious?

Please help. This is very frustrating.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-09-26 at 9.21.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-09-26 at 9.21.29 PM.png
    197.8 KB · Views: 372
  • Screen Shot 2011-09-26 at 9.24.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-09-26 at 9.24.52 PM.png
    50.9 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Your Google Chrome renderer is snarfing up a LOT of resources.
Try using a different browser for a few days.

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
Thank you for your reply. I did notice the CPU usage and have decided to refrain from using Chrome on OSx completely. It always causes problems. I noticed that it kept putting out Console errors in SL, so once Lion came out I used Safari only. I read an article recently about Chrome being updated for Lion, so I was trying it out. It obviously is not a good software package in any situation. I'm done with Chrome on a Mac. PC only.

I'm watching the Console output right now, and the two most repetitive errors are:

9/26/11 10:31:36.000 PM kernel: IOSurface: buffer allocation size is zero

and multiple things pertaining to "LogMeInGUI". I uninstalled LogMeIn a LONG time ago! I don't understand why it is still running on my Mac. If I go up to the status bar to click it's drop down menu, it crashes, then restarts. I assume that's because there's no app to run?

EDIT 1: I just uninstalled Flash Player, and I am not receiving the buffer allocation error any longer. I read a Apple Discussions thread about how Flash Player was causing that error, and someone recommended uninstalling to rid a Mac of the error.

EDIT 2: There are also a ton of errors in relation to MultiClutchInputManager... which I have no idea what it is.

EDIT 3: Deleted MultiClutchInputManager from Library/InputManagers and rebooted and am no loner receiving that error either. Note: I could not just empty the Trash via Finder for some permission issues. I had to delete the .Trash folder (contents of the Trash bin in Mac OS) in Terminal by doing this: "rm -rf .Trash"

EDIT 4: Went into Library/Application Support/LogMeIn and there was an uninstaller script in the folder. Double clicked it, Terminal opened, I typed my password, and it's gone. No more LogMeIn issues.

Final Verdict:
1. Don't use Flash Player. It is a terrible program, and causes too many issues.
2. Do not use Google Chrome on Mac OS. Even though Safari uses a ***** ton of RAM, the program is dependable and runs fantastically alongside other apps. Google Chrome uses wayyyyy too much CPU, which slows everything down.
3. Make sure you fully delete Applications from your Mac. Don't just drag the icon to the Trash and empty. There are more files related to an Application than the app itself, so deleting the app from your Applications folder really doesn't clear out everything from that app. For system upkeep and full app deletion, I recommend MacKeeper.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.