Mac Mini running OS X Servers and Drobo 5D's

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by PaoloCanuto, Jan 3, 2015.

1. PaoloCanuto macrumors newbie

Hello MacRumors Community!

Paolo here, and I want to know if I can use a Mac mini for an OS X Server and expand the server storage by connecting the Drobo 5D via ThunderBolt. Will devices connected to the server be able to make TimeMachine back ups that are sent wirelessly to the Drobo 5D too? The reason I'm asking is that I want to convert my mom's clinic to an Apple based one, she has tons of digital x-rays and important charts, and we want to make sure it's completely safe from harm, thats why I thought of the Drobo 5D.

Is there a better solution to this problem?
    The overall gist is that I want two Mac mini's, one being the main sever Mac connected to a expandable storage that not only stores files in one spot, but also backs up the computers connected to the server.

Thank you for your time!
    Paolo

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd opt for a full blown NAS instead of using a drobo. They use a propriety RAID system, that may give you some headaches.

What is your mother using now, for storage and archiving?

I'd look for an existing software solution that caters to her field, even if that means running windows and a PC.

3. PaoloCanuto thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey maflynn! Thanks for your reply.
    I don't exactly know what she has connected to her server, she barely knows how to use, but I do know for a fact they use an external usb harddrive to manually back up the files. I'll check what her set up is like after we come back from outsmart state. She's telling me about her windows are not doing her justice, they are about 5 years old and extremely slow now compared today's benchmarks. I was thinking it would be a nice change to apple.

So a NAS would be able to be managed with OS X Sever? I was leaning towards the Drobo because of the whole ease of replacing of harddrives, and mix and matching of HD sizes.

4. dyt1983, Jan 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying info not relevant to the conversation.

5. PaoloCanuto thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey Dyt,

So you have experience with OS X Servers? How easy would it be to incorporate a Drobo 5D, or any array for that manner, with the server?

6. dyt1983, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

Hmm, moving these threads around is not consistent... Drobo threads go to the Server Forum, the Peripherals forum, and now the Buying Tips forum! Sorry I didn't see it right away.

edit: To remove personally identifying info not relevant to the conversation.