Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vim147

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Quick question, Does the mini need to be laid flat or can i have it on its side ?

Will it be safe for the internal components ? etc fan ?

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Should be fine. Mine is upright. Also, on iMacs, the components are all placed upright as well, so it's pretty safe to do in general.

Just make sure you use a stand to hold it upright securely.

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
i have mine attached to the back of my hdtv and it works great

Attachments

• IMG_0429.JPG
    IMG_0429.JPG
    201.3 KB · Views: 12,348

vim147

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
i have mine attached to the back of my hdtv and it works great

Ive been standing it on its side for an hour now and getting fan noise now when streaming video. The vents aren't blocked.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Ive been standing it on its side for an hour now and getting fan noise now when streaming video. The vents aren't blocked.

Streaming video is most often using Flash, which is CPU intensive, which uses a lot of power, which generates heat, which makes the fan spin faster.

vim147

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
I've got the 2011 mini. I have to tap it a little to quiet it.

allaboutmac

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2012
I just bought my mini and had the same question as vim147. Thanks for the suggestions and I appreciate the pix.

I have surfed the web and noticed alot of stands made from acrylic. My husband and I own a display manufacturing company (very small) that produces acrylic displays.

I would be interested in hearing suggestions from users about the different stands they have used and what improvements could be made. Venting, cord management, ease of access to usbs, wall mount, or under desk mount options.

Thank you for any suggestions in advance.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
I have had 2011 mini in the newer tech alloy upright stand for a few years. Works well in keeping cool.

Last edited:

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
Does anyone know where I can find a stand like this in the UK? :D

Not in UK as I do not live there, but OWC delivers overseas. If they try to only give you international courier options in the checkout, you can email them to ask for normal USPS postage which is a lot cheaper. They tend to use international couriers for large and breakable items.

I bough same stand from OWC and sent OS. Very happy with the stand and how it also make mac mini run cooler.

pollaxe

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2010
West of England
Does anyone know where I can find a stand like this in the UK? :D

Yes - The Bookyard (in Liverpool) stock them - I've just ordered one.

I've ordered bits and pieces from them before and they've always been good. :)

I notice that now I've ordered it, they've got it down as a five-day leadtime - which probably means I just snaffled the last one in stock.. hopefully.. (sorry!)

Sophia.

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2013
United Kingdom
Not in UK as I do not live there, but OWC delivers overseas. If they try to only give you international courier options in the checkout, you can email them to ask for normal USPS postage which is a lot cheaper. They tend to use international couriers for large and breakable items.

I bough same stand from OWC and sent OS. Very happy with the stand and how it also make mac mini run cooler.

Yes - The Bookyard (in Liverpool) stock them - I've just ordered one.

I've ordered bits and pieces from them before and they've always been good. :)

I notice that now I've ordered it, they've got it down as a five-day leadtime - which probably means I just snaffled the last one in stock.. hopefully.. (sorry!)

Thank you both for replying to my question. Don't worry about it being out of stock I'm sure I'll find one somewhere, :) I hope it makes it to you safely in one piece.

Joelburman

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2014
How much cooler would you say a mini in general is running while standing? I have the 2010 model.

macguru5

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2015
Georgia
Streaming video is most often using Flash, which is CPU intensive, which uses a lot of power, which generates heat, which makes the fan spin faster.
I also have the problem with fan noise when using Flash. It is a terrible program, but necessary if one wants to watch certain streaming video.
I found a fan control program which, when I added a few waypoints for fan speeds (as measured in centigrade (or Fahrenheit), cured the problem.
The program is TG Pro, and is available for around $5.00 over the internet.
It allows you to set a number of temperature limits and the percentage of fan you wish to use to control the temperatures. I have 5 points set, so it comes on slowly as the CPU heats up and only increases in RPMs if the CPU continues to heat up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.