Mac Mini Server & 1 TB WD drives

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Doraemon, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Doraemon macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I am toying with buying a Mac Mini Server (MMS), but am concerned that - especially when using Time Machine for multiple Macs - the two built-in 500 GB HDDs won't be enough.
    Western Digital introduced 2.5-inch 1 TB HDD earlier this year, but their form factor height is 12.5 mm, so about 3 mm higher than the built-in 500 GB drives from the MMS.
    So I was wondering if there was enough space inside the MMS to replace the standard 500 GB HDDs with the 1 TB WD drives? Has anyone got experience with my idea? Or would getting an external multi-slot HDD drive be more sensible?

Input appreciated. Many thanks in advance!

2. rtrt macrumors 6502a

i'd be interested in the answer here as well.

think wd are just starting to ship the 1tb 2.5 now even tho it was launched a while back as you say.

3. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3

They will physically fit in the Mac Mini. However, you will be hard pressed to find the 2.5" 1TB WD drives. DO NOT BUY THE WESTERN DIGITAL PASSPORT ESSENTIAL SE 1TB drives as they already have the USB interface on the drive, so no true SATA connector.

Heat becomes an issue as well as there will be limited airflow over the lowest drive and there is typically airspace there with the standard 9.5mm drives. Hope this helps!

4. /"\/oo\/"\ macrumors regular

You're better off getting an external RAID enclosure of some sort with FW800- faster drives, cheaper per GB, easier upgradability/maintenance, etc.

5. robotartfashion macrumors 6502

x2, Get a FW or USB enclosure. www.macsales.com has some great units that hold 4 3.5" drives and have fw ports

6. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Those external housings are loud. I'm sure that mini server is very quiet. I use an external drive for my iMac boot drive and the fan and the drive are very noisy.

cheers,