Mac Mini Server 2011 with Client OS?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by nire, Aug 18, 2011.

1. nire macrumors newbie

I have a Mac Mini Server 2011 that I plan to use as a HTPC. Mainly it will be an iTunes server for ATV2. I needed the quad-core for Handbrake transcoding performance (from EyeTV source).

I may also run Hulu, etc on the Mini since it is connected to my TV.

So obviously I don't need any of the server OS functionality. Is there any security or performance advantage to installing the client OS? Can I go back to the server OS if I need to? Are there any suggested settings for using the server as a HTPC?

Thanks for any advice.

2. indg macrumors 6502

no security or performance advantage to installing the standard lion. lion server is just the standard lion with additional server services on top. if you don't need the server stuff, don't enable them to begin with... boom, you're running standard lion.

3. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

The initial setup though does ask you several questions that are related to server, but as the previous poster said unless you actually enable those features it is just like running standard Lion.

I did have to make some changes like enable sleep mode, because generally a server don't sleep. I also had to change some of login features because the default on server is to have you type in your name and password. I prefer it to just show my name and me type in the password like the standard Lion does by default.

I may tinker with the server stuff down the road, but know this if you do install standard lion then decide you wanted the server version. Which I don't really see any reason why you need too. If you to an internet recovery it will install the server version, because that is what Apple will show is the OS you get which is tied to your serial number. When you do the internet recovery it looks up your eligibility and download the default OS which in this case would be the server version.

4. mikeboss macrumors 65816

mikeboss

5. mchekaluk macrumors newbie

Mac Mini Server 2011 HTPC Video Card

I'm looking at doing the same thing, Mac Mini Server 2011 as my iTunes server and also using with ATV2. The reason for the Server is I like the idea of two redundant hard drives so backing up is a secondary issue. What are your thoughts on setting the drives up in redundant format and streaming via ATV2? Obviously I stream from my MBP through APTV2 but it's not a redundant drive setup obviously. Would there be a streaming issue at all?

Also, I plan on hooking the mini up to my tv as well for streaming any web content. See any issue with the lower end graphics card on the server?

The bonus is coming with iOS5 wifi syncing as my wife and I are tired of having two separate iTunes libraries (music and videos) and iPhoto libraries; we want them as one, which we will do with the mac mini. Wifi syncing with the mini for both iPhones will do what we want then:)

Any observations from your own setup experience would be welcome!

Thanks
    Mike

6. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

As stated, running regular client shouldn't be any issue. I've done it with my 2009 Mac Mini Server.

As far as the video chipset, no. You shouldn't have any issue. The Intel HD3000 is a more than capable video playback GPU. Gaming, not really, but for playing videos including YouTube, Hulu, Netflix, it should be fine. I've shut off the discrete video card in my 2011 MBP (and run solely off the Intel HD3000 in order to save power) and had no issues with video playback.