Mac Mini Server as temp replacement to G5?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bzollinger, Jun 30, 2010.

1. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

Like many of you here, I've been waiting a long time for the 2010 MPs. My G5 still works for everyday stuff but when I start working on RAW files from my Canon 7D, in LightRoom2 and CS4 it really bogs down. When I look at the activity monitor both CPUs are 100% for extended periods of time.

Has anyone got any experience or opinions on if a new 2010 Mini Server would be a significant upgrade to my PPC dual 2.0 G5?

From what I could find the G5's GeekBench is a lowly 1816 :eek:, and Engadget tested the 2.4 GHz 2010 Mini at around 3385. That's more than double.:eek:

I plan on buying the new MP whenever it might come out but this old G5 is really starting to cramp my work flow and honestly keeps me from doing the photography work that I like to do.

FYI- I don't make any money with my equipment it's purely a hobby thing, and I've picked the Mini Server edition because of the faster HDDs, and I don't need the price and peripherals that an iMac comes with.

2. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

sounds like you've already figured it out...

the only thing I wonder about the mac mini server is if snow leopard server would interfere in any way?

Maybe customize a low end mini with the faster processor and faster hard drive?

3. bzollinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

Well yah, it'd get the server version that is 2.6Ghz and it has two 500GB 7200 RPM drives (the only way to get 7200 RPM drives in a mini??).

The question I guess is, 4GB of RAM enough? And would it just be better to get a 21.5" iMac with a 3.06Ghz C2D?

Also what is the consensus on resale value? Out of a mini server or an iMac if sold in a year which has the highest resale value? I'd like to recoup as much $$ when it comes time to buy the new MP.

Any advice?

4. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Get a Mac Mini Server 2.66GHz and setup the drives as a RAID 0 array. It will be blazing fast (but still nowhere near 50% as fast as a Mac Pro would be)

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

One thought is that the current mini that is in your sig would smoke the G5 you have, so is it possible to use that?