Mac Mini Server for a Pro Tools machine?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jamesryanbell, Aug 7, 2011.

1. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

I can't really afford to go get a Mac Pro that I want at the moment. I have no need for a laptop because of my Air, and I don't really want an iMac (because I have a 27" ACD).

How do you think the Quad-Core Mac Mini Server with 8GB and an SSD would work for a Pro Tools machine? I already have tons of external storage to use, plus I could grab a Thunderbolt drive down the line when prices get down to earth. Plenty of RAM, plenty of ports, no need for heavy-duty graphics. I know I couldn't use the dedicated cards like I could on a Mac Pro, but again, it's a price thing. Could that little 2.0Ghz i7 Quad handle everything well? 8GB is fine.

Just curious as to more experienced people's thoughts.

2. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

I think that the 2011 Mac Mini Server with 8 GB RAM will work for you.

3. alq macrumors member

Hi there,

I am currently using a 2010 Mac Mini server as my Logic Pro machine and it works like a charm. WIth the quad-i7 you can't make anything wrong.
    Anyway, I am also planning to move to that machine whenever Thunderbolt-drives are becoming available.

alq

4. jamesryanbell thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

We may be waiting a while before they're affordable though. lol

5. chani1944 macrumors newbie

Hi. Glad to hear your experience. I¨m still somewhat hesitant to make the move to the later MM server (2011) to operate my Logic Pro9.1. ¿Have you had any software incompatibility of any sort beyonds using Logic? ¿Are you using the original server´s software? Greetings from Venezuela