Mac mini server for Logic Pro/podcast work?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by guydude193, Feb 9, 2012.

1. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Hello all,

My last thread here was about the iMac vs. the MacBook Pro. I recently acquired a second external monitor, though, so those are out of the equation.

It's down to the Mac Pro or the Mac mini server. I have the funds to purchase a Mac mini server this weekend, but I need to know if it can handle Logic Pro or any other audio editing software very well? I work with hour-long recordings once a week and put them together in a weekly podcast.

I would upgrade the memory to 8GB from OWC, too, and put the internal drives in a RAID 0 for enhanced speed.

I don't really want to wait for Ivy Bridge's minimal performance gains, especially since I'm upgrading from a C2D; anything would be an upgrade, really. However, I will wait until/if the Mac Pros are updated if the mini server can't handle the audio work I do. It's also important to note that I plan on keeping whatever I purchase as my main work machine for roughly 3-4 years.

If anyone is using a Mac mini server as an audio editing setup and it works very well, or knows that it would be fine for my tasks, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

2. guydude193 thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

So, what's the answer? I have the mac mini server myself but don't do any audio work. Can it handle what you are throwing at it? I am curious

4. guydude193 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, it's a very capable machine! I put the HDDs into RAID 0 and will install 8GB on Tuesday when my order arrives. But even now, it's amazing.