Mac Mini Server for Time Machine Back-ups

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dgbarar, Dec 12, 2015.

1. dgbarar macrumors 6502

dgbarar

Hi All,

I have two MacBooks where I am considering using a MacMini server for Time Machine back-ups. Here is the configuration I am considering:

1) MacMini operating OSX server connected via an ethernet cable to my ASUS RT-AC68U router.
    2) Four bay Thunderbolt drive enclosure connected to the MacMini.

This might be a bit overkill just for Time Machine back-ups. But I am considering shutting down my aging HP Media Smart Server operating Windows Home Server and then using the above configuration for all storage/back-up requirements.

Cheers,

Donald Barar

2. ColdCase, Dec 12, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2015

ColdCase macrumors 68030

Thats similar to what I've been using for a couple years now without issue. We have six computers/laptops backing up to the mini managed time machine destination. I have a left over time capsule where a couple of the computers are also set to back up. We end up with two TM backup copies of those computers which was simple to set up.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

4. priitv8 macrumors 68030

I'm in the same boat. And I even manage to do that with a C2D Mini from 2009 and USB 2.0 drive. Works very well. My setup might hit a bandwidth cap when I were to stream many FullHD streams, but I do not.