Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vslo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
No -- that would be a retail copy. It's missing necessary drivers since the new mini's are newer than the OS DVD. You would need to find someone who has bought the 2010 mini and will lend you the install disks. Apple will not provide them. (There are quite a few threads on this floating around various forums.)

The apple adviser assured me that the snow leopard versions that are sold in apple.com are 10.6.4. Then, if its true, would I be fine buying the retail version in apple.com ?

vslo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
No -- that would be a retail copy. It's missing necessary drivers since the new mini's are newer than the OS DVD. You would need to find someone who has bought the 2010 mini and will lend you the install disks. Apple will not provide them. (There are quite a few threads on this floating around various forums.)

The apple adviser assured me that the snow leopard versions that are sold in apple.com are 10.6.4. Then, if its true, would I be fine buying the retail version in apple.com ?

One thing I do not understand is, can the server edition be causing the lag ? Or can my dvi-cable ? What could be happening ?

Giuly

macrumors 68040

One thing I do not understand is, can the server edition be causing the lag ? Or can my dvi-cable ? What could be happening ?
Apple.com is the official website. Apple.com/store is the official store. Any reason they would ship you a 10.6.3 DVD? And even if they would, a magical window pops up on first boot and asks you to hit the update button so it can update to 10.6.4 via internet. That would even apply to a 10.6.0 DVD. You don't need a 10.6.4 DVD, any other 10.6 DVD will do. Even those that came with other Macs.

The server edition is just a regular Mac OS X with additional software preinstalled. Have you tried to reinstall Mac OS X Server in order to fix your lag? If it doesn't, it's rather something else. Could be a faulty hard drive. I stated other reasons in your other thread about this specific topic. It's definitively not the Server Edition.

I think you don't really know what you're talking about. I'll translate for you into Windows world: "I have this PC that came with Windows XP Pro. The Start Menu is sluggish. I think it's because of the Pro. Will installing Windows XP Home fix this? Can I install Windows XP home on my PC? Will I need a special Windows XP Home CD from ASUS for my ASUS motherboard? It says "For IBM-compatible systems" on the CD, will it work with my AMD system? My Motherboard came out after Windows XP got it's Service Pack 1, I contacted Microsoft to know if they Microsoft Shop ships Windows XP CDs with Service Pack 1". Still don't understand it? Then you're better of with a multimedia hard drive with an integrated browser you can hook up to your TV and an abacus.

What benefit do we have from the most easiest-to-use operating system on the planet if the user is not able to go out the door, lock it, go to the mall, get any kind of Snow Leopard DVD, pay it, go home, put it into their Mac, hit the power button and click a couple of times on "Next", enter it's name and a password and confirm to update the system after the automatic reboot?
Don't you think that Apple thought of your problems and problems you can't even imagine long time before you did? Do you ask on a medicine board every time they put out a new chocolate bar if you GI track is able to digest it, because it was invented long time after the Homo (more or less)Sapiens? Why don't you just use the convenience Apple offers you and schedule a free one-on-one genius session at the Apple Store, bring you Mini and let them fix it? Now I get why they call it Genius Bar, good one.
And no, I'm not too harsh. If you don't get a piece of information for the first time, OK. Second time could be coincidence. But if you don't get it on the third approach, your brain is likely not able to process that specific chunk of information without additional training. No one will tie your shoes or elevate the calcium level in the cells of your finger's muscles to make it click the mouse button. No problem, men have overcome that with the concept of delegation, that's why we're the most sophisticated animals on the planet. In this case delegation to the Geniuses at the Apple Store, because delegation to the forum seems to not work for you. That's basically what an IQ test measures, the brain's ability to process a certain pattern of information.

Know what? Return the Mac Mini Server. Get a Mac Mini with a 2.66GHz CPU and an external hard drive for less money and be free of worries. That's my recommendation, take it or leave it.

P.S.: I'm still thrilled to see the world's first post of a child who asks on a food technician board about the safety issues of substituting mummy's boobies with a sippy cup.

shoebobs

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2008
Know what? Return the Mac Mini Server. Get a Mac Mini with a 2.66GHz CPU and an external hard drive for less money and be free of worries. That's my recommendation, take it or leave it.

The OP had the 2009 mac mini, it died and Apple replaced it with the 2010 Server edition. I would recommend he sticks with the Server model rather than downgrade and lose the extra ram, faster processor and faster HDDs.

vslo - check out this thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/967515/

Within that thread, this apple forums discussion is referenced - http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2465599&tstart=15

It looks rather exhaustive but skimming through it, it appears you can install OS X client on the Mac Mini server. Unless you want to perform what looks like may be a complicated process, I would just wait until you can get an updated Retail Snow Leopard disc - that should make the whole process much simpler. In the meantime, mess around with OS X Server.

You may want to search in the Mac OS X forums, as it looks like others may be trying to do the same as you - install OS X Client version on the Mac Mini Server. You may be able to find some more help there.

vslo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
But this is what the Apple adviser told, that the snow leopard discs that are sold are already upgraded ! So would be no problem to get them.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
But this is what the Apple adviser told, that the snow leopard discs that are sold are already upgraded ! So would be no problem to get them.

Looks like you might be safe since the minis shipped with 10.6.3 and a later version should have the drivers. The other threads reported problems because the retail DVD had 10.6.0.

shoebobs

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2008

Then you should be good to go but every Apple rep isn't always 100% correct, so you may want to verify you can get your money back if the retail discs aren't yet upgraded to what is needed for the new Minis. Or you could set up a genius bar appointment to bring in your mini, purchase one of the upgraded discs and have them go through the install with you (not sure if applecare covers this). That way if they tell you it will work and it doesn't, I can't see them charging you for the install disc.

Sounds like you have applecare so I would try to use Apple's resources as much as possible to figure this out.

Let us know how the install goes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.