Mac Mini Server intergration with Windows Vista clients

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by david.spottie, Jan 19, 2010.

1. david.spottie macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I have just brought myself a Mac Mini Server Edition for my business and am struggling to set it all up so they work together. Ill quickly explain my setup - I have a Mac mini server connected to a 48 port Net gear router and currently have 9 client computers all of which are dell's running Windows Vista basic. I also have two non-network printers connected to the server and another network printer connected to the router.

Basically, I am having trouble making the clients talk to the server. For example, when i start up my MacBook laptop I can automatically log into my server and access files. However, the Server doesn’t seem to register on the Client computers.

It would be greatly appreciated if somebody could give a little input into how to network them. In addition to this, I have purchased a Domain Name and have paid for Domain Name Severing (i.e. it is live). I want my employees to be able to connect into the Server through this domain name via the VPN feature on the Mac Mini Server - does anyone know anything about setting this up?

Thanks.

2. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Honestly? It'd be far too complicated to walk you through the whole process; try to find a guide online and then post questions when they come up and I'm sure folks would be happy to help with specifics.

Administering a server along the lines of what you seem to need is not basic, though OSX Server does offer pretty much the easiest way to do it. It's not that it's hard but it's a lot to learn, so my two cents would be to start reading up on it, specifically VPN, administering FTP, SSH, Firewalls, etc. and going from there. Or picking up a couple of the SAMS tutorial books on administering a server, they're pretty good (in general, haven't read the server ones)...

Are you using the mini server (the dual 500g model)? How is it? I've been debating replacing my company's internal server (currently an old Celeron) with it.