Mac mini server (late 2009): new yet not new?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by vip007, Nov 15, 2010.

1. vip007 macrumors newbie

Hi,

About a week ago I bought a new late 2009 Mac Mini Server from BH Photo Video. They had (still have) a very good price ($699). I was expecting a retail box but got a unit in a brown box.

I've bought refurbished macs in the past but this one is not marked as refurbished (those typically have a different part number). I called BHPV's CS and they claim this is how they get new units from Apple---which I found a bit odd. Moreover, when I checked the unit's serial number on Apple's warranty check, it stated the unit was registered on 6/15/2010.

Typically, I would just return the unit (and I still can, until next Tuesday). However... the warranty check states that this unit is covered until 2013, implying is has a full 3 year Apple Care.

So my question is: could I really enjoy the benefits of AppleCare on this unit even though it is: a) supposedly new, and b) I did not purchase AppleCare myself? I know AppleCare is transferable, but this is a rather odd scenario.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

(I posted this in the Mac Mini thread, but this is probably a better place for this post.)

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

brown boxes are refurbs. I suggest you call Apple to see if the claims from BH are valid or not. I suspect it's really a refurb.

3. kyzen macrumors regular

I was just looking at that same deal myself, now I'm hesitant to pull the trigger.

Let us know what you find out if you call Apple!

4. vip007 thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I don't really care if it is a refurb (most of my macs are---direct from Apple though). But I would not want to lose warranty, especially if it is the 3-year AppleCare :).

I'll call Apple to hear what they have to say.

5. jacksonkeller macrumors member

In may 09 I bought an open box/return Imac from Best Buy. It had applecare, one of the reasons I bought it. About 3 months later the applecare coverage was gone. The original buyer must have gotten a refund. I later bought my own applecare. I see that their website, applecare, says my coverage runs till april 2012. I'm guessing that BB originally sold it in april 09.