Mac Mini Server not in Sidebar (Shared) anymore but is accessible via AFP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AndrewMRiv, May 20, 2015.

1. AndrewMRiv, May 20, 2015
    Last edited: May 27, 2015

AndrewMRiv macrumors regular

AndrewMRiv

My Mac Mini server is no longer showing up on the sidebar of my other Macs in the house.

If I go into finder and manually enter its IP address (afp://192.168.0.118) then I can access it just fine (but without screen sharing).

Why is the the case?

My router settings are:
    Modem -> D-Link Router (Required for my solar panels) -> Airport Extreme 1 -> Airport Extreme 2 (Repeater).

Under "TCP/IP", it has been given a static IP.

I'm not sure what else could be affecting it.

What could the possibilities be?

Thank you.

2. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

I would try rebooting all the routers first and then reboot the Mac computers.

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

With your NetGear router bookmark the Apple Support site TCP and UDP ports used by Apple software products.

4. AndrewMRiv thread starter macrumors regular

AndrewMRiv

I tried doing this but had no luck.

It is sort of flaky and only shows on the sidebar every now and then.

What I don't understand is why my MacBook Pro always shows in the sidebar for my Mac Pro but the Mac Mini does not.

Is there something else that I am missing? Does the fact that it has a static IP affect it? Does the fact that it is old hardware (mid-2010) contribute to that?

5. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

under Sharing what is checked?

does it have back to my mac enabled as well?

you may have to turn off and on the sharing Services.

perhaps, with its IP its not on the same subnet as your other devices...I'd also check that too.

6. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

I use a static IP address on one of my Macs and I also have (2) 2009 Macs and I can see them all in the finder sidebar. It could have to do with your other posting that I also replied to: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1884620.

7. AndrewMRiv thread starter macrumors regular

AndrewMRiv

Thank you for all of your replies.

What fixed it was just removing the cheap D-Link router from my network that the Solar Energy company installed. I was fed up with it.

They unplugged my airport extreme, plugged in a cheap D-Link Router, and then plugged in their hardware (Solaredge Home Gateway) into an ethernet port. I was done with trying to work with their setup.

I plugged the Solaredge Home Gateway into an ethernet port on the Airport Extreme. Assuming that it's in DHCP, it will just generate another IP and continue to work as it was before.

I was constantly having to open up ports manually on the D-Link router and since I had a Double NAT setup, Back to my Mac was not working properly, etc.

Unplugging that and resuming my old network (Modem -> Airport Extreme 1 -> Airport Extreme 2 (Repeater)) seemed to fix the problem as well.