Mac Mini Server Question

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Agent69, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Agent69 macrumors member

Agent69

I am considering the purchase of the Mac Mini Server, as I like the dual 7200rpm drives in the unit. As I have a lot of Amazon gift cards, the unit will only cost me $200 out of my own pocket.

Anyway, the one thing I would like to do it install the client version of Lion, so I have two quick questions:

1. Does anyone know what version of Lion comes on the USB Thumb Drive Apple sells?

2. Will the Lion USB Thumb Drive boot on a Mac Mini Server?

Thanks in advance!

~Agent69

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I don't have the server but I think I know what the deal is with this. Unlike Snow Leopard, the server version of Lion isn't a different operating system. It's a set of addins installed on top of the normal install. For example, I can buy the Server addons from the Mac App Store and install it without reformatting.

So I think that you can just disable all the server features or just reinstall and ignore installing them altogether. No need to get the install drive since the addins are just a program to be installed.

3. NightStorm macrumors 68000

4. Agent69 thread starter macrumors member

Agent69

5. MJL macrumors 6502a

If you use the server in a non-server role be aware that the server fan runs at 2300 rpm while the non-server machine's run at 1800 rpm. The fan is audible at 2300 rpm however the server runs cooler than the the i5 models.