Mac mini Server rive question.

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by faded_glory, Mar 18, 2017.

1. faded_glory macrumors member

faded_glory

I'm about to swap out the primary HD in my Mac mini Server (2 x 500GB HD's) for an SSD. The question is - when I take it apart, which of the 2 drives is the OS drive? The one I come to first, or the one underneath that one? (I'm hoping it's the first one so I don't have to take the whole machine apart).

2. chrfr macrumors 603

Both the System Information utility and Disk Utility list whether drives are in the upper or lower bays. You'll need to check your specific computer to see which drive has the OS on it.

3. faded_glory thread starter macrumors member

faded_glory

It was the lower of the two, necessitating a complete teardown of the machine.
    The law of 'one screw left over after reassembly' was dutifully observed. All working as expected, apart from the fan, which races continuously, but I found an App that deals with that. Thought I'd reattached all the sensors correctly - obviously not.

4. now i see it macrumors 65816

That's why I spent $60 to have a professional repair shop do mine.

5. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

That's why I got an external SSD for mine which is only slightly slower than an internal. :) I would be concerned if the temperature sensor doesn't work properly. What happens when you really push the CPU? Handbrake makes the fans run very fast on mine, how can an app know the proper speed for the fans if the sensor doesn't provide accurate data?

6. faded_glory thread starter macrumors member

faded_glory

It's not used for anything that would wallop the processor. I use a quad core iMac for what little video conversions I do. This Mac mini is used as a file server and an iTunes library/server and might be set up as an update cache, if I get round to setting it up.