Mac mini server setup

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by 2timer, Aug 5, 2010.

1. 2timer macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a new mac mini server that I need to properly setup. It has 2 identical 500GB hard drives which should be mirroring each other so that in case 1 fails I have a backup. From what I read seems I need to enable RAID 0.

This system brings no optical drive so I have to network a iMac to this machine to install the necessary software I will have on the server.

Can anyone outline the steps to do this properly?

2. shoebobs macrumors regular

Are you just planning on reinstalling OS X and using disk utility during setup to create the RAID?

If so, all you need to do is put the OS X install disc into the iMac, and go to Applications --> Utilities --> "Remote Install OS X."

1. Follow the instructions on the iMac to make the OS X disc available on the network
    2. Hold the option key while booting the Mac Mini to select the OS X disc on the network.
    3. Wait for the Mac Mini to get to the OS X install screen (could take a while)
    4. Before going through the install, use disk utility to setup the RAID
    5. Install OS X

I may be missing a few steps as this is from memory, but it should be pretty straightforward

If you do not want to lose all your data/current configuration, you may want to look at this thread - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=809077&highlight=raid

3. mangrove macrumors 6502

Be careful since I believe RAID 1 is mirroring not RAID 0. Maybe you should MRoogle about RAID setups.

4. 2timer thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes that is correct, I will enable RAID 1 onto this machine first then install the server OS, I believe I must use Firewire correct?

When I attach the iMac and Mini by firewire will they be networked?

I will have about 3 iMacs connected to the network getting the info from the server, whats the best method to connect this?

Thanks for the help so far!

5. mangrove macrumors 6502

I try to connect as many Macs to my Time Capsule via ethernet. But when transferring large data files I use firewire 800 where possible, but you can get FW800to400 from Apple and elsewhere.

6. 2timer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks,

I also need to network 3 iMacs to the Mini Server, there is network ports on the walls, does anyone know the tools needed to accomplish this?

I need to confirm before I attempt to do this task.

7. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

If you put your mac mini in firewire mode, connected to your iMac by a firewire cable, the installation should be much quicker.

8. mangrove macrumors 6502

When I connect a bunch of macs I do it through my router. But if you transfer large data files use FW.

You need ethernet cables for each machine going from computer to router. I do not know what you mean by "network ports on the walls".

Maybe some Apple discussion sites can get you a better answer. Or ask the question there.

The more I think about it, if those iMacs don't have ethernet to the mini, why not just set up an in-house wifi with password protection?

Take a look at the Time Capsule User Guide on the internet. They give suggestions on a few ways to connect multiple machines using a router, or check Cisco, etc. sites.

9. 2timer thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it possible to network the server to the imacs through the airport wireless router?