Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Thanks for taking the time to explain it. I am not interested in buying this server, I just really didn't understand the implications. Appreciate your help!

Ok... You all need to get a better understanding of what a server is. There is no magic involved, it's really just a computer. Apple is just marketing this particular computer as a server and providing it a Server OS.

ANYTHING you can do on the Mini Server you can do on ANY computer.

Filesharing (Remote over the internet or locally) can be done VERY easily with just any normal computer without special server software. If you want to know how start a thread about it. This includes Media streaming as well. Again, VERY easy without special software.

The Server OS that comes with the Mini Server lets you HOST your own chat, email, calendar, contact server. Those are pretty much the only benefits to it that will matter to most people. If you're not sure what that means, then you really don't need it.

Most of you will be fine just getting a Mac Mini and then buying a 2TB Firewire drive.

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
The benefit to the server like others have said is that you can host your own services for other computers. Example: Business or class room where you have multiple computers (and people using them). All of them connect to services running on your OSX Server. Maybe you want to have your own chat server so you're not using msn or aim for business. Likewise with a calendar server etc. This works well with classrooms. Also setting up a roaming profile so you can log into any computer on the network and have your settings there. Also setting up install images. So other Macs can install from the network. Simplifies having to stick DVDs in all of your computers.

For most home users, you have 1-2 macs maybe a PC. You don't really need any of these features. (Are you gonna setup your own chat server to chat with your brother/sister down the hall? lol...) You can get buy with simple file sharing which any computer can do. If you want a media server your better off with the regular mini since it has the DVD.

The mini server is great if you know what it's for. Cheaper than buying Mac Pro, doesn't require a rack like an Xserver. Running the software on an iMac/MacBook is kind of a waste since most servers aren't used as workstations. You turn them on and leave them alone until you need to change/fix something.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
And the reason is that there are multiple circulation fans (including those in the hot swap power supplies) in a 1U sized rack mount chassis cooling multiple CPUs that are expected to run 24/7/365 over their useful life.
That's just one part of the story, the other is that those fans run at very high rpm's (8000 rpm is quite usual). Since those servers are 1U this means those fans are tiny. Tiny fans at high rpm's means an awful lot of noise, especially when there are lots of fans in the machine :X If they all spin at their max you won't be able to hear the other person.

The only real change to the Mini for this "server" edition is the replacement of the optical drive with another 500GB HD. Even for a small office, 1TB (or 500GB mirrored) is fairly minimal, so additional external storage devices and adding an optical drive are likely to be "must haves." So, for $1K, you get server software and a smallish server-wanna be.
I don't quite agree with calling it fairly. For most small companies 500 GB is huge, it far exceeds the space needed for things like their documents and mail. Some companies like multimedia companies use large files like videos which take up a lot of disk space. However, those companies more likely use things like a NAS or even a SAN. You can put a lot of disk space in a server but this is limited as well. Some companies can exceed that limit. Remember that OS X Server is more than just storage, there are a lot of other services aimed at administration and projectmanagement. It can also be a wise thing to separate storage and services from each other for administrative reasons as well as performance reasons.

I don't consider the 500 GB as fairly minimal and as a disadvantage as most companies that need more than 500 GB of disk space will most likely have solved it by using some other solution.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
I Want to get one as a Media Server, to accompany my PS3 which is my Media Player.

Currently my MBP iTunes library is the most upto date, as i use it, then i have to copy any new music over to the PS3 via USB or 'PS3 Media Server'

If i got the MMS, it would be so much simpler.

Setup MMS Running iTunes and PS3 Media Server, Set iTunes to Homeshare and auto copy. When i add new music to my MBP, its auto copied into the MMS Library, and stored (Backup) and then auto streamed to my PS3. Not quite worth £800, but i tend to spend money on things that arent amazing value for money, so :p

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
What About Running a RAID0 For a Faster PC?

Would it makes any sense to run this not as a server, but just as a personal computer?

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Can I use the mini server to consolidate our families ITunes and IPhoto libraries so that we can all access them in one place?

You can do that with iPhoto right now.

The problem with iTunes is that the front end does not support having multiple users access the same set of data files. Yes, you can share the music files themselves by putting them on a shared disk. But you can't add a song to the library and have it automatically added to everyone's library (xml data file). A server won't change that, since it's really no different than sharing your music from a disk on one or another computer.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
Would it makes any sense to run this not as a server, but just as a personal computer?

I don't think so... Just buy a mac mini and then a firewire drive if you want 1TB.

Also, I wouldn't use Raid0 unless I didn't care about losing data. :D Now... If you have 4, 500GB harddrives around... Then you can go with a format supporting striping and parity. :D

MacOverWin

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2009
Sure, these guys specialize in just that and by all accounts do a very good job.

Thanks for responding.
Hmmmmm that is a US company and therefore, in US currency. Any one have any experiences in Canadian companies? and well, feedback as well please :)

andyOSX

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I Want to get one as a Media Server, to accompany my PS3 which is my Media Player.

Currently my MBP iTunes library is the most upto date, as i use it, then i have to copy any new music over to the PS3 via USB or 'PS3 Media Server'

If i got the MMS, it would be so much simpler.

Setup MMS Running iTunes and PS3 Media Server, Set iTunes to Homeshare and auto copy. When i add new music to my MBP, its auto copied into the MMS Library, and stored (Backup) and then auto streamed to my PS3. Not quite worth £800, but i tend to spend money on things that arent amazing value for money, so :p

You don't need the mac mini server for this, you can do this with a regular mac mini. People, the reason the Mac Mini server is more expensive is becomes it comes with OS X SERVER which is $500. If you are not gonna use OS X server features then get the $599 Mac Mini and a big external firewire drive...

Serif

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
UK
You don't need the mac mini server for this, you can do this with a regular mac mini. People, the reason the Mac Mini server is more expensive is becomes it comes with OS X SERVER which is $500. If you are not gonna use OS X server features then get the $599 Mac Mini and a big external firewire drive...

Exactly! :)

I think many people are looking for a home media type server, seeing the word server in the Mac Mini Server product and jumping to the wrong conclusion. You can build an excellent home media server using the "normal" mac mini running "normal" OS X.

I keep thinking that Apple might be missing a trick by not producing a package of applications akin to iLife or iWork that would provide this home media server functionality cleanly, but it would and should be for standard OS X.

MacOverWin

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2009
What would be the real benefits with hosting my mac mini with a provider vs our of my basement? Sorry, want to be cheap ;)

Serif

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
UK
What would be the real benefits with hosting my mac mini with a provider vs our of my basement? Sorry, want to be cheap ;)

Depends what you intends doing with it. If you're just wanting it to serve up files, printers and act as a media server then nothing at all.

If you intend serving up content to other Internet users then you'll probably get some benefits in terms of better and more reliable connectivity including a static IP address which your broadband provider might not be willing or able to supply. That said, it is perfectly feasible to run a low volume server from home over consumer broadband using services like dyndns to fake a static IP.

I guess the summary would be that it's probably worth it if you expect to make a profit out of it, and otherwise not.

MacOverWin

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2009
Depends what you intends doing with it. If you're just wanting it to serve up files, printers and act as a media server then nothing at all.

If you intend serving up content to other Internet users then you'll probably get some benefits in terms of better and more reliable connectivity including a static IP address which your broadband provider might not be willing or able to supply. That said, it is perfectly feasible to run a low volume server from home over consumer broadband using services like dyndns to fake a static IP.

I guess the summary would be that it's probably worth it if you expect to make a profit out of it, and otherwise not.

Ahhhhhhh very true. :)
hmmmmm, yes well I see it will be a must for businesses that cannot afford any downtime. The quality of bandwidth, redundant power, etc will be services that you get with hosting with with a provider vs hosting from "the basement"

This seems like it will be very pricey :(

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
sorry to hijack but ive tried googling and searching but its hard to find an answer

is a server like a computer that anyone else can connect to?

Its a computer that usually everyone in a network can connect to to use the data on it, or it can be used to host something, like a website, maybe a big library of media files so everyone in the network can use them...

Pretty much it hosts something or stores public data on it that anyone in the network can access. So in an office all the files that everyone needs to have access to may be stored on a server.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
That's just one part of the story, the other is that those fans run at very high rpm's (8000 rpm is quite usual). Since those servers are 1U this means those fans are tiny. Tiny fans at high rpm's means an awful lot of noise, especially when there are lots of fans in the machine :X If they all spin at their max you won't be able to hear the other person.

I don't quite agree with calling it fairly. For most small companies 500 GB is huge, it far exceeds the space needed for things like their documents and mail. Some companies like multimedia companies use large files like videos which take up a lot of disk space. However, those companies more likely use things like a NAS or even a SAN. You can put a lot of disk space in a server but this is limited as well. Some companies can exceed that limit. Remember that OS X Server is more than just storage, there are a lot of other services aimed at administration and projectmanagement. It can also be a wise thing to separate storage and services from each other for administrative reasons as well as performance reasons.

I don't consider the 500 GB as fairly minimal and as a disadvantage as most companies that need more than 500 GB of disk space will most likely have solved it by using some other solution.

Yes I agree, I would never use 500GB. I have 1000s of songs on one of my Macs, 100s of photos and 100s of document and tons of apps and I'm only using 20 or 30 GB. :eek: Plus there are two HDDs in the Mini, and I think you can upgrade them to a TB:D

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
I have been using my iMac in my kitchen as a server. It hosts SSH, Http, a private blog, SVN, as well as a lot of videos and songs on my LAN for my 360 and my new PS3. The web access is made easy with DynDNS.

As I and many others mentioned… don't need the server edition unless you need the OSX server features. Those are listed on Apple's page if you're unsure.

MacOverWin

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2009
Found a Canadian company.
$50 to COLO and no setup. Is this price fair?
http://www.claritywebhosting.com/mac_mini.html

Also, not too sure if i understand the "1000 gig of transfer"

Is this traffic to and from my site? So if somene clicks on a music file or a video on my site, the bandwidth is calculated on the outbound transfer? So let's say music file is 5 mb, does that mean that amount is taxed away from the 1000 gigs?

Sorry for the many questions. Trying to understand this fully :)

MacOverWin

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2009
Thought I'd update.

I called that Company and went for a DC tour. I am more of a physical presence kind of guy ;)

I think this is so important to check out before deciding on a provider. And well, I can ask as many questions as i want and the person cannot run from me :)

Anyways, they were on point with everything and am now hosting a Mac Mini out of their Datacentre.

Absolutley seemless process.

FireWire2

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
Media ?! that is too much of cost

The only reason i would buy this is to make it a media server but i have a ps3 with a 500gb hard drive that works really well for that. IMO the mac mini is too expensive for what it does.

Wow that is expensive solution for media server...( file server)
I would rather go with uATX P4 MB with 4 SATA cost less then $100.00
and 1x eBOX-R5 hardware raid5 box run load FreeNAS.

But you you really run as MAC mini as a server: apache, web hosting, Mailserver, AD.. the whole nine yards then, still consider a hardware raid

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.