Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

speedwaygirl

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2010
I've been lurking for a while and on the fence about a new Mac Mini. Since I've given up on a Media Center PC with Blu Ray, I'm back to the Mac Mini. I've got two blu ray players and PS3, so I think we've got that covered!

One of the things that I'd really like to have is maximum storage for the Mac Mini, since it will have the video and audio on there.

The question is this. Is anyone out there running a Mac Mini Server with Snow Leopard installed as a regular desktop machine? How does that work out? Is it worth it? I already have a very nice external Lacie double layer DVD burner, so the optical drive isn't necessary for me. Does the Mini Server with its 1TB of storage make sense? At $849 for a refurb at Apple.com, it seems pretty reasonable!

Would love to hear thoughts from this crowd!

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
I've been lurking for a while and on the fence about a new Mac Mini. Since I've given up on a Media Center PC with Blu Ray, I'm back to the Mac Mini. I've got two blu ray players and PS3, so I think we've got that covered!

One of the things that I'd really like to have is maximum storage for the Mac Mini, since it will have the video and audio on there.

The question is this. Is anyone out there running a Mac Mini Server with Snow Leopard installed as a regular desktop machine? How does that work out? Is it worth it? I already have a very nice external Lacie double layer DVD burner, so the optical drive isn't necessary for me. Does the Mini Server with its 1TB of storage make sense? At $849 for a refurb at Apple.com, it seems pretty reasonable!

Would love to hear thoughts from this crowd!

I have it as our shared storage and backup server. Sits there silently protecting our data.

Cheers,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.