Mac Mini Server

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by jackhdev, Jul 12, 2011.

1. jackhdev macrumors 6502

Is it advantageous to buy a Mac Mini without the server part and save money or should I buy the Mac Mini Server configuration? I am part of the Mac Developer Program, so I get the software for free. Anyway, if I host a basic website with a few hundreds hit a day, shouldn't the normal base model be fine?

Btw, if you have a Google+ invite please send one to: jack at chillysky dot com. THANKS!!

2. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

I think it should be fine, but there is always the possibility of hardware malfunction from being constantly on.

3. saulinpa macrumors 6502

A few hundred hits a day isn't much of a load.

Buy the server if you want two hard drives that are a bit faster (7200 rpm). Otherwise it is the same machine but comes with the faster cpu and more memory.

4. logandzwon macrumors 6502a

The 2010 mac mini server with the 7200 rpm HDs in a RAID stripe has very fast disk access.

The 2010 mac mini (non-server) only has one HD and an optical drive. I haven't used an optical drive, (except for OS reloads, which you can do by USB,) since 2008.

For a simple HTML website with no server-side executed code, a few hundred hits a day, (that is about 3 hits an hour,) an AppleTV has more then enough horse-power. (People have jailbroken and used them as web servers. http://atv.macminivault.com/)

5. Tulpa macrumors regular

Hundreds of hits a day is closer to 20 hits per hour...