Mac Mini server

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Shoopy, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Shoopy macrumors newbie

Hi community,

We are a small developing company with 4 MBPs. We wanted to use a fileserver so all our working files are saved on a machine which everyone can connect to (a server right?).

I know the mac mini with osx server does the job but will a time capsule suffice?

Also is it possible to connect a time capsule to a mac mini and use it as an external hd? My idea was to purchase the 599 dollar mac mini (instead of the 999 dollar version), install osx server and connect it to a time capsule for the storage.

Thanks from this small starting company!

2. Gromit83 macrumors newbie

To be quite honest I would rather go for a RAID 5 or 6 NAS drive. It's more expensive, but your data will be safer and its probably easier to set up. Most NAS drives even support Time Machine backups. I have heard good things about Synology, but have no experience my self.

3. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Also would suggest to buy a NAS; I'm happy with QNAP connected via GE; easy to backup.
    And I would not trust time capsule (anymore); make a real backup with several generations on external storage.

You could also install GIT on QNAP for central source code repository. (Not yet tried but saw some packages)

4. Shoopy thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks gusy.. ill look into the NAS option.

What do you guys know about my second question? Using a mac mini 599 dollar (so not the one with osx server included) and install osx server on that device?

5. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Should be fine; as from 10.7 you can buy the server from MAS; I run it on an older C2D Mini. No issue itself.

----------

... But not sure if the disks regular MacMini are sufficient quality for 24/7 server operation. Again comes back to backup: plan that solid; then the Mac Mini is no issue

6. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

A Mac mini will do fine. I've got one (2.5 years old with Snow Leopard Server) running 24/7 at home serving 7 other computers. I hang 4 external drives off of it for extra capacity and backups (server via SuperDuper and a centralized TimeMachine backup for the other Macs).

Do not use a TimeCapsule. If you need Wifi it's more reliable (and faster performing, apparently) to have a AirPortExtreme for the WAP and connect a high capacity drive to the server.

7. RUGERMAN macrumors regular

Server usefulness?

My brother has a SL server Mini but only uses it as a stand alone computer. He has the mini, a MBP and two Dells. Can't he set it up to serve the PCs and back them up as well as function as a print server? He does taxes on one PC, his wife does accounting on the other and he uses the Macs for Stock trading, pictures and surfing the Net. I guess I'm a little fuzzy about the purpose of a Mine Server. What would be the optimum use in this situation?

8. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

It doesn't make sense to use a Mac mini server, as a server, in an environment that is otherwise 100% PCs. Most people in that situation buy a NAS although an older Windows box (because performance isn't necessary) or even a Linux box are often used.

9. Ariii macrumors 6502a

Ariii

Unless a lot of people are accessing your drives, you would probably be fine with an earlier Mini. File serving doesn't require very high specs; a lot of people use even G3's as file servers. If you really need a warranty, I guess a refurbished Mini would be a good choice.